Fort Lauderdale is located north of Miami, on the Atlantic Coast and is a popular tourist destination. The city is named after a series of forts built during the Second Seminole War by the United States. The city is also known for its extensive network of canals; it has 165 miles of waterways.
Fort Lauderdale is a popular vacationing spot for yachts with its many canals and close proximity to Bahamas and the Caribbean. It is the home port for about 100 boatyards and marinas and 42,000 boats. The downtown area of Fort Lauderdale hosts some of the newest hotels and condominiums in Florida.
The city was once a haven for spring breakers and was thereafter nicknamed “Fort Liquordale”, however Fort Lauderdale has grown over the years into a beautiful, sophisticated, luxurious city with much more to offer than just a “god time” for college students on spring break. The city now attracts some of the wealthiest persons around and is well equipped with beautiful well-appointed homes and equally luxurious office/business spaces.
There are numerous sites of interest in Fort Lauderdale such as:
- Fort Lauderdale Swap Shop (a large indoor/outdoor flea market with the world’s largest movie theatre).
- The International Swimming Hall of Fame — with a museum, research library and theatre.
- Hugh Taylor Birch State Park — perfect for camping, picnicking, canoeing and nature trails.
Nightlife in Fort Lauderdale is unlimited as the city has many bars, comedy clubs and night clubs. Fort Lauderdale offers a diverse amount of entertainment for an eventful night out.
The most popular beach in the city is the Fort Lauderdale Beach, it is one of the most beautiful beaches in Fort Lauderdale. Other beaches in and around the city are: Hollywood Beach, Lauderdale by the Sea Beach, Dania Beach, Hallandale Beach, Pompano Beach and Deerfield Beach.
Homes, condos and apartments in Fort Lauderdale are beautiful luxurious and has some of the best views in the city. If you are looking for a sunny, relaxing vacation in luxury then Fort Lauderdale is the place to visit.
According to statistics on city-data.com the estimated median house or condo value in 2012 was $223,400. Houses can range from $220,000 to $2,695,000 and apartments/condos range between $179,900 and $1,244,900.
Fort Lauderdale hosts restaurants of all types from the easy going sports and wine bar to the exclusive romantic fine dining restaurants. Some popular restaurants in the city are:
- 101 Ocean
- 13 Even
- Amatsu Sushi and Sake
- American Pie Brick Oven Pizza
- Argentango Grill
- Sage French Café
- Sal’s Italian Ristorante
There are numerous schools in Fort Lauderdale which include:
- City/Pembroke Pines Charter High School
- Bayview Elementary School
- Broward Virtual School
- Virginia Shuman Young Elementary School.
There are also schools for higher education which have campuses in Fort Lauderdale:
- The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale
- Broward College BC (Willis Holcombe Downtown Center)
- Keiser University
- University of Phoenix (Cypress Creek Learning Center)
- Jersey College
- City College
- Florida Atlantic University FAU (satellite campus)
- Florida International University FIU (satellite campus)
- Nova Southeastern University NSU (satellite campus)