With the recent successful launch of BandChain Phase 2, Laozi, we are ready to enable one of our key features of the upgrade: IBC. We are excited to share that the core Band Protocol development team has submitted a new BandChain Improvement Proposal (BCIP-4) to propose enabling the oracle requests through IBC.
If this proposal passes, IBC-compatible chains can request oracle data and receive the oracle results which are proved to exist on BandChain by the IBC procedure. This will not only increase the usage of BandChain’s oracle data but also provide a secure and decentralized method for other chains to access oracle data.
We have also made the feature easily available for developers who want to develop a new dApp chain required to use oracle data from BandChain through integration with starport.
The Outcome of the Proposal
Upon the proposal conclusion on Oct 15, 2021, there are two possible outcomes:
- If the proposal passes, IBC Oracle feature on BandChain will be enabled automatically.
- If the proposal fails, BandChain will still not be able to get and send oracle requests across other chains and we will collect feedback to improve upon what is needed.
Delegators Can Vote
Every delegator and token holder on BandChain has voting power based on the tokens that have been staked on the mainnet network. Delegators have 5 possible options to interact with BandChain proposal, including this one, as follows:
- Vote “Yes”, if you agree with the network upgrade
- Vote “No”, if you disagree with the network upgrade
- “No with Veto”, if you strongly disagree with this proposal
- “Abstain”, if you do not intend to vote in favor or against the proposal but accept the result of the vote
- Do not vote (do not submit transaction), if you wish to delegate your voting power to the validator who will vote on your behalf
For any questions, please feel free to raise any questions or concerns regarding the proposal in our Discord group.
Join the Band Protocol Discord Server!
Check out the Band Protocol community on Discord - hang out with 4,441 other members and enjoy free voice and text…
How is the Proposal’s Outcome Determined?
After the voting period ends, this proposal will be determined as YES if all of the following conditions are met.
- More than 40% of total bonded tokens vote on this proposal.
- “No” with veto votes must be less than one-third of the total votes.
- “Yes” votes are more than the sum of “No” and “No with Veto” votes.
Effects on End-Users
The upgrade has no effect on the end-users operations of the chain.
About Band Protocol
Band Protocol is a cross-chain data oracle platform that aggregates and connects real-world data and APIs to smart contracts. Blockchains are great at immutable storage and deterministic, verifiable computations — however, they cannot securely access data available outside the blockchain networks. Band Protocol enables smart contract applications such as DeFi, prediction markets, and games to be built on-chain without relying on the single point of failure of a centralized oracle. Band Protocol is backed by a strong network of stakeholders including Sequoia Capital, one of the top venture capital firms in the world, and the leading cryptocurrency exchange, Binance.