10 (quick) things you should know if you’re going to school/live in the UK?
Riddled with humour and sarcasm
- Hairstyle: Ladies, be sure to come with “dada”. At least that way, you can loosen it during the summer when you go back to Nigeria. Guys, skin-cut (skondo), at least it wouldn’t have grown too much by the Summer…LMAO.
- Relationships: Back your bae and be coming. Especially, if you are doing a Masters.
- The Sun: Carry enough sunlight from Nigeria and be coming. We are in short supply here. For instance, ask me how I dry my clothes? Heater in the house! My shoes nko? — still haven’t found a solution to it.
- Washing Machine: Hand-washing is a thing of the past. Some houses even have dish washers. So, you are safe.
- Bathroom and Toilet operations: What is a Bucket? I see that you are not used to using shower to have your bath…well, I’ve got news for you; Bucket is alien here.
- Clothing: Asides from your underwear, we don’t need any of your Nigerian clothes.
- Foodstuff: Garri, Stock fish, Pepper, Indomie (not noodles) missing from your cooking kit? Where do you think you are going? My friend, go back and pack properly.
- Language and Mannerism: So, I heard you don’t smoke, but do you use the F-word? LOL, if you stay long enough, you’ll probably re-think a good number of things you never even bothered doing back home (e.g Nigeria). In all, be sure not to join bad gang. A man old enough to be your father would be calling you “mate” and you too, you want to reply? (no Nigerian home-training)…👀🙄😏.
- Job Opportunities: “Graduate scheme 30,000 pounds starting salary per annum (of course)…”. But wait first, would you need a Visa sponsorship (/work-permit) to remain in the UK? Well, chances are slim, but it is still very possible. Also, you can get a per-time job; in order to do that, you need to apply for a National Insurance Number (NIN).
- Gadgets: Welcome, to the world of Macs. An Apple-filled life. LOL, there exist other brands but if one is not careful, you’d think it is a sin to use something other than an Apple product.
Hope you got the message though (just had to sprinkle in some exaggerations). If you are seriously considering coming over to the UK for your Masters then I have something for you — a blog series providing actionable bits with informational resources. Start here!