One KEY, All Access
By Julie Muraski on 10/09/2014
Great news! You can now self-provision a Best Buy API key that will provide access to all Best Buy APIs. Historically if you requested a key you would have access to the Products API, Stores API, Reviews API and Category API (these all fall under a Remix key). If you wanted access to the Recommendations API you would need to email us and we would manually enable your existing key. We have been working with Mashery and have upgraded to their latest package-based API key provisioning. This allows us to deploy new APIs and endpoints without you needing to request a new key or make changes to your existing key. We suggest you provision a new packaged-based key, if you are a new API key holder or have been with us since the beginning.
How do I know if I need to upgrade my key?
If your keys contains “Remix API” or “Recommendations API” you should upgrade to ensure continued access to all Best Buy APIs.
I have already requested access to the Recommendations API do I still need to upgrade my key?
We recommend that you upgrade your key even if you previously requested access to the Recommendations API. This ensures you are setup using our new package-based keys.
What happens if I do NOT upgrade my keys?
Your existing Remix key will continue to work indefinitely but you may not get access to any new Best Buy APIs as they are released.
I have more then one key do I need upgrade each of them?
Yes, you will need to upgrade each of your keys.
What will happen with my old key?
Your old Remix API key will continue to work indefinitely. We have done this to ensure you have adequate time to test your new key in development and testing environments. When you are done with your testing we recommend deleting your Remix API key to avoid confusion.
How to upgrade your key:
- STEP 1: Click on Sign In from anywhere on developer.bestbuy.com to sign into Mashery. You will be in the My API Keys area of the site.
- STEP 2: Goto the Get a Key For Best Buy Developer APIs: Public Services and click on it.
- STEP 3: After clicking on the Get a Key For Best Buy Developer APIs: Public Services you will be prompted to register for your new key.
- STEP 4: After registering your new key you can immediately start using it. The key will be labeled Best Buy Developer APIs: Public Services
- STEP 5 (OPTIONAL): After completing any testing we recommend deleting your old Remix API key.
If you have questions or concerns about your key or making a change please email us at email@example.com.