Better Experience #12: No-spill Drink Powder Sachets ☕️🍵
Sometimes, instant coffees are not actually instant – we need to clean up the mess we’ve made afterward.
Better Experience Design is a collection of arbitrary encounters with everyday things that have given us either delightful or stressful experience.
1. What is it and what is the purpose?
Plastic sachets are commonly used to contain instant drink powders. Just tear it open and pour the powder into your cup.
2. Why/When did I use it?
Every time I need a kick of caffeine, I would open up a sachet of instant coffee. For other people, it could also be syrup, green tea, or chocolate milk.
3. Was it a delightful or stressful experience? Why?
It’s an okay experience – it’s great but not so great. Here’s why:
It helps us create drinks instantly and does a great job in containing the drink powder.
Not so great
- Sometimes it does the job too well, that we need to use a lot of power to open it. Usually, the aftermath is a messy table due to an excessive amount of force we used to tear the sachet.
- Other times, we might tear it wrongly — all the way from top to bottom, instead of left to right.
- Some sachet may not have the pre-torn “tear here” part which might add to the stressful experience while opening the sachet.
- Lastly, it’s plastic, and by using these plastic sachets we contribute to making the world a worse place for the next generation.
4. Can it be better?
Yes, that’s the whole point of this article isn’t it 🤔
Use long cylindrical sachets
Some brands have made the leap from rectangular sachets to a more ergonomic, easy to use sachets. It is easier to pour the powder accurately.
However, these cylindrical sachets might not be enough for some brands that need a lot of space for their branding purposes.
Make the pre-torn “tear here” thing a part of the design
Some sachets have a zigzag cut pattern as part of their packaging design. It makes it easy to separate the sachets from each other, as well as helping us to tear the sachets easily.
Use paper instead of plastic
It’s quite obvious why we should do this. Also, it would make it easier for people to tear the sachet.
5. What do you think?
We think this might make a better experience for drink powder sachets.
Let us know in the comments if you have any idea about how to make it even better and let’s discuss 😆
Thanks for reading! If you have any idea about what we should cover next, you can comment below / send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org !