How to Be a Powerful Better Human
A Personal Pandemic Response Resource Guide
A curated list of how-to’s to for mindful, compassionate perseverance
This a catalog of Better Humans articles curated to highlight articles that can help you get persevere through the coming weeks of distress and uncertainty of the COVID-19 pandemic.
These are not articles about dealing with the virus directly; rather, they are articles to help you build skills and handle bad situations better. These skills are evergreen; any of them you learn now will help you throughout the rest of your life. Some of them will help you be happier, healthier, more comfortable, and wiser in the short term. Some of them will help you be of service to others. And some might actually be fun.
That said, we don’t take the naive view that there’s any real upside to a pandemic-level crisis. Yet we hope to get through it with our love, our humanity, and our sense of interconnectedness and community undiminished.
Above all, be kind to yourself and to those around you. Let your imperfect self be the best human you can. We’re imperfectly with you all the way.
Dealing With High-Stress Situations
Short-term emergencies require a clear head, good judgment, and the ability to turn on a dime. A good dose of stoicism helps.
Meditation and Mindfulness
Meditation is the one habit that will help you cope with both short-term and long term stress the most. Whether you need mindfulness techniques to calm yourself in the moment, or brain training to build your focus “muscle”, these articles will help you build the habit and understand the underlying science.
- This Meditation Exercise Builds Mental Muscle and Cures Procrastination
- How to Meditate Daily and Form a Lasting Habit
- Stop Obsessing About Focus: Here’s What Your Mind Really Needs
- Shaping Your Meditation Through Brain Science
- Breathing in the Light: A complete modern tutorial for an ancient meditation technique
- How to Use Science of Meditation as Motivation
- Using Loving-Kindness Meditation to Overcome Resistance
- The Complete Guide to Active Meditation Techniques for People Who Can’t Sit Still
- How to Disarm Internal Triggers of Distractions
- How to Practice Stoicism and Develop Grit
Digital Diet and Detoxing
More information isn’t always helpful… in fact, it can contribute to your anxiety, lure you into making bad decisions, and end up stealing away your time and ability to be effective. You need to stay connected, but consider narrowing down the channels to a healthy level.
Gym-Free Exercise and Fitness
Physical activity can help you stay sane and healthy. It might even be a good time for you to explore a new fitness routine. Here are some good choices for exercise at home and outdoors, while staying socially-distanced.
- How to Start Running and Actually Enjoy It
- The Powerful Mental Benefits of a Daily Morning Run, and How to Start the Habit
- This Is How to Grow Strong by Sprinting
- How to Overcome Resistance to Running
- A Counterintuitive Strategy for Building a Daily Exercise Habit
- How to Master Your Mobility in 15 Minutes a Day
You’ll likely be spending much more time at home and with family than usual. Here are some ideas for making that more pleasant and productive, including some new habits that you might try during this time simply to give your mind (and body) some much-needed novelty.
- 41 Powerful Journaling Exercises for Mind Expansion and Effective Behavior Change
- This Simple Yet Powerful Weekly Planning Routine Puts You in Control
- How to Experience Your First Insight in Mindfulness Meditation
- How to Keep Your House Tidy
- 30 Minutes to Dealing with the Paper Cluttering Your Desk
- Why You Should Have a Field Manual for Your Life
- Codex Vitae: An example of a “Book of Life” you can recreate for your own
- How to Get the Unquantifiable Benefits of Cold Showers
- How to Integrate a Morning Routine Into Your Life
Communication and relationship styles will be severely tested while sheltering in place. Here are some articles we think could come in handy for families, couples, and other groups who want to emerge stronger.
- How to Create Meaningful Connection With Almost Anyone
- How to Reject Busyness and Embrace Slow Living with Your Entire Family
- Rules for Happier Parents: Children Change — When We Let Them
- How to Teach Your Child Good Posture Habits
- How to Master Communication in Open, Polyamorous, and Other Relationships
- How to Make Your Relationship More Loving, Stable, and Fulfilling
- How to Avoid Emotional Outbursts and Save Your Relationships
Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst. And help your future self be happy with the person you turn out to be.