Wings of a Raven, chapter 6. “Interlude, nr 2”.
Chapter six from book one in my near future sci-fi book universe, 2028AD.
Another day begins
You know, this place, I love it. The silent morning, the sleep and the tranquil way it greets you with visuals from Earth, gorgeous, lush Scandinavian birch trees and lush burning auburn colors that intermingle with our A.I garden and throughout the ship, it´s like walking inside a contemporary Scandinavian minimalist designers dream world.
- I love this place too man.
To wake up greeted by that slowly rising sunlight as it grows across the walls in height, size, and lumen, and each morning, when the doors open up, it is like you are standing back home, in the living room with Spotify already playing, a cup of freshly made black coffee, ground on Brazilian beans and aroma that grows across the entirety of your world as you slide the white, rustic glass doors open and rushing up against your nostrils together with the coffee is the scent of summers dew and moist grass that tickles your senses right in the morning breeze. Rustic board floors against your bare naked feet, Machine Head crushing the acoustics and there you are. My god, that is the perfect morning routine before you head out for a morning run 30 minutes later.
And this room is that sensation of a good old Earth born sunrise.
I fucking love it. A flawless start to the day.
This ship, the complete world and mixed ecosystem it actually is, it gets me every day. The water that flows across the hull, the algae and plankton, fish and the butterflies and bumblebees, the shell fish and jelly fish, and the way they have taken to this place, damn, I love the way our garden takes care of this place for us, and the way it makes this box of metal feel like a real Earth born place, a real garden meadows, full of lush life down by the creek, with a real sunrise. Rain, moon, mist and a sunset. A complete 24-hour cycle of natural life mixed up with a state of the art A.I and all the technological marvels to blow your mind.
Forming this amazing ecosystem.
The sounds, the freshness of the air, the life you can feel in it, it´s not like the rest of the artificial air of old Earth bound systems.
This one is alive. It lives and changes with each day.
I do not know how to describe it properly, but it is tranquil and joyful, relaxing and all. And it just makes me god damn happy man. This ship and what we have created, it is fucking amazing.
But fuck man, yesterday, peering inside their shared dream of that place of theirs. Ouch. That was death by a thousand cuts, fuck me, that got me hard. I mean, I can’t even tell if it is just a mutual dream that they are somehow living and creating together. Or if it a memory shared by people that actually lived it together down on Earth. Or if it is a strange kind of hybrid reality, part dreams, part real life memories and part AI gone way overboard. Fact or fiction, it does not matter.
It got to me, hard man.
[ inside their mutually shared reality. ]
- hell yes, I hear you. What a trip, I swear I could feel the scent of coffee, and for a moment, I could taste that apple pie and custard in my mouth, not just in my thoughts, I could fucking taste it physically speaking, the taste buds, the weight against my tongue and the moist in my mouth, the scent through air while the rain kept falling down outside the windows, it was so real.
I could taste it.
I swear I could.
Fuck yeah, it was amazing. I have never even thought about Earth like that in a very long time. If I ever did. It sure did bring back some vivid memories, as real as yesterday. To the point, it was as if I was actually standing back on Earth again.
- It was like a flood I tell you, bringing me back to another life. You know, those crazy Chinese, how they started out teleporting real stuff between a station up in space and a state funded laboratory back down on Earth. That’s how this one felt.
Just like that quantum entangled thing, it was not like the way we stream stuff or even actual physical teleportation, it was as if I actually existed in two places at once. I was right here, on this fucked up ship, and yet, I was right there. Wet pavement, coffee, Earth coffee. Blueberry pie, and the scent of sunlight burning away the rain.
They lingered, unheard, yet present. I was present and alive, coherent, yet completely there as well.
Melting ice cream, and the chatter of the world.
- As she served another cup of coffee. Her perfume, did you feel that too?
OMG, I sure did.
And I heard the birds outside. The atmosphere, the pressure of it. It curved the hair on my arms.
Sounds and conversations from complete strangers. Real stuff.
But I sure as hell do not miss waiting in line.
- Haha, yeah, no need for that up here with the day crew.
Nope, it´s all ours. Plain and simple.
- But I still crave apple pie.
And the scent of people, mm Earth coffee. And the feel of morning rain.
- Wet pavement.
Oh, fuck you, a warm apple pie and a beautiful random girl in a short skirt walking by.
- Timeout, Fuck me. That´s fucking, time out you are fricking killing me. Fuck you for going there. At breakfast too, what the fucking fuck.
And that radio, who the fuck is “Big Chief” Mason.
- Yeah lol, that is such a weird one. And quite a work of wordsmithing too, it cracked me up tho.
Strange is the way of wyrd. But it’s a proper mind trip. I tell you that.
- Hell yes. And that’s why we are here. Floating through the nothingness, peering inside the life and dreams of an entire ship of sleeping human beings, an entire future planetary colony, and somehow their thoughts and dreams.
It’s the best thing since the dinosaurs.
Haha, fucking right you are. Best shit since our good old T-rex ruled the world.
Yeah, its strange is it not?. Sometimes I feel so disconnected from it all. Earth I mean, the people. Sometimes I even wonder if we are even the same species that left Earth. I mean, you get it right?. Have we changed in a real, and evolutionary way, the way some lizard evolve in a mere decade or two if they have to adapt to their island world getting submerged or completely cut off.
Is that the thing, or have we just forgotten how it is to be a human being that´s a healthy, non-destructive part of the world, the wolf pack that physically has to hang out with the rest of the fucked up world without tearing each other to bits and pieces? You get it right?
I do man. I had to watch one of the last few streams we received last night just to remind myself.
What did you see?
- It was just a random heat wave, one of a million heatwaves. 73c that hit southern Europe for two hours. 45 000 dead people in a fairly local region of Spain and Portugal, parts of France and Italy and some Balkan southern states. They named it Lucifer IV, and the next piece of random news was some fucked up earnings call for a new West Virginia Trump mine that had seen its shares soar to unprecedented levels just two months later, a major new coal discovery in the Appalachian mountains, and the worlds entire problem sounds as if they are completely forgotten.
They glossed right over the air pollution, the tides outside Florida and New York, lucifer and all its siblings.
50 dead miners in one week.
Zero livable wages.
Drought and food shortages.
Millions of people fleeing their dead lands, billions of unemployed people.
But nope, they just burned more coal and the stock kept rising.
Right there. In two short streams, all the reminder I needed.
What a worthless bubble we all lived in.
Fuck me, that old world was a crazy place.
- No, Earth was a great place. It was the hominid species that was fucked up, beyond ape shit crazy. Well, not the apes, but we, the human species. Fucked up worthless.
The human race. What a disgrace, and what a fucking mess we made.
And here we are now. Drifting at sea like some fucking old Viking boat. A world wrapped in mist and no one else in sight.
- Let’s watch some news tonight.
Connect to the human soul you mean.
- Beam me up, Scotty. Right back to 2028. And perhaps that will put us in touch with a happy raven.
Ha Ha, wise guy, you fucking tool. Sure thing man. Let’s connect to our human soul back in 2028, give me April and a summer shower while we are still on Earth. Who knows, perhaps we´ll receive some new bits of news soon, positive news from back home.
- It’s been years man.
And years more will go by, but eventually, we´ll hear something. Old shit, but news to us. Eventually, we´ll get that quantum thing going again. Things will catch right back up with us.
- It is what it is. Chinese and all.
Yup, at least we got that worldwide, one child per adult female law right.
- You know it man, there is a silver lining in everything. And we did turn Wonder Woman into a franchise too.
There´s that too. There is hope for humanity.
Buy and own my book ‘wings of a raven’, or wait for chapter seven to show up here on ‘Beyond2c’.