Peter Senge’s 11 Laws of Systems Thinking
In his book “The Fifth Discipline”, Peter Senge outlines 11 Laws that will help you to understand business systems and to identify behaviors for addressing complex business problems.
- Today’s problems come from yesterday’s solutions
- The harder you push, the harder the system pushes back
- Behavior grows better before it grows worse
- The easy way out usually leads back in
- The cure can be worse than the disease
- Faster is slower.
- Cause & effect are not closely related in time & space.
- Small changes can produce big results, but areas of the highest leverage are often least obvious.
- You can have your cake & eat it too but not all at once. Not either/or. allow time for solutions to work.
- Dividing an elephant in half does not product two small elephants
- There is no blame