BlahCade #151: Stern Pinball Arcade VR and Cabinet Shenanigans
We have a long overdue chat with Mike from Farsight Studios about what’s happening at the Studio. We also talk about pinball cabinet controllers.
After covering some brief news items we dive into some first experiences with virtual pinball cabinets and then have a great chat with Mike from Farsight Studios about the new Stern Pinball Arcade VR release on Oculus Rift.
We round out the show with an announcement about our new merchandise: it’s not just Tshirts this time.
Ways to Listen
For the raw video, you can watch below.
For the post-produced audio of the show, you can listen and subscribe here.
BlahCade Podcast - Stern Pinball Arcade VR and Cabinet Shenanigans
After covering some brief news items we dive into some first experiences with virtual pinball cabinets and then have a…
And now… on with the show
- 00:45 — Movie Pass is “profitable”
MoviePass | Watch New Movies in Theaters
MoviePass gives you access to new movies in theaters nationwide for a low monthly fee.
- 07:15 — Zen Pinball FX3 Williams Pinball Released!
Williams™ Pinball: Volume 1 on Pinball FX3 - Available NOW!
It's finally here! We are excited to announce Williams™ Pinball: Volume 1 is NOW AVAILABLE on Pinball FX3 for Steam…
- 08:15 — Comparison videos between original and digital in Zen Studios.
- 09:15 — Spacey’s Screen Overlay Comparison.
- 10:35 — Live drops in the show.
- 12:00 — Occulus Rift and Stern Pinball Arcade VR.
Popping the PinCab Cherry
Custom Built Arcade Machines Brisbane Australia | Product Page
Custom built Arcade Machines and Virtual Pinball Machines brisbane Australia
- 12:40 — Wolfson’s Digital Pinball cabinet.
- 15:05 — Tuning help with Future Pinball.
- 17:10 — PinballX Interface First Thoughts.
- 19:05 — Older Versions of TPA.
- 19:55 — Getting Visual Pinball working after a hiatus.
- 22:50 — Getting into Future Pinball.
- 23:40 — Cabinet gameplay thoughts.
Creating a MicroCab Controller
XInput Game Controller for PC Pinball Games. Contribute to Jerware/PinSim development by creating an account on GitHub.
- 24:30 — PinSim MicroCab boards.
- 25:50 — Chris’ Article about PinCab on Medium.
And So It Begins…
If you listened at all to our BlahCade Pinball Podcast (and honestly why would you be reading this if you haven’t?)…
- 26:10 — Sourcing components through Amazon.
- 28:55 — Handling Analog Input triggers with arcade fire buttons.
Mike Lindsay from Farsight Studios
Stern Pinball Arcade (Rift)
A collection of classic and modern digitally recreated pinball tables made by Stern.
- 31:55 — Stern Pinball Arcade VR (Rift) (SPA VR)
- 32:55 — Will SPA VR be on other VR platforms?
- 34:10 — Purchase tables outright for real money.
- 34:35 — Grind for free tables: 40 bars per table, 1000 tokens per bar.
- 34:50 — Join and get a starting balance of tokens.
- 35:20 — Complete challenges to earn tokens faster.
- 36:10 — When will Whoa Nellie and Big Buck Hunter come into SPA VR?
- 37:30 — Why do you need to adjust your height and position each time you play?
- 39:00 — VR view is night and day compared with 2D.
- 40:55 — How do Occulus controls work in SPA VR?
- 42:00 — Room environment delayed release a bit.
- 42:45 — Table claw is the loading animation.
- 43:40 — What’s being done about UI disparity between SPA ecosystems?
- 45:50 — What is happening with TPA?
- 47:00 — Will we see more Gottlieb EMs in Pinball Arcade?
- 47:50 — Is there any movement on Capcom tables?
- 48:00 —So… when did you hear about the Zen Williams Pinball license?
- 51:00 — What is happening with Arcooda?
- 52:00 — What’s the work pipeline looking like at the studio?
- 52:00 — What was your first gig at Farsight, Mike?
- 54:00 — How many employees are fully dedicated to pinball?
- 54:45 — Is the studio really still that busy?
- 56:00 — Will Stern video screen tech be possible?
VR Pros and Cons
- 56:35 — Sweaty heads.
- 57:55 — General user fatigue.
- 59:25 — No steam controller profile for TPA.
- 60:40 — No flipper button mapping options in SPA VR.
- 61:10 — VR pinball is a solo pursuit.
- 62:10 — Navigation is not intuitive.
- 63:00 — Re-alignment issues.
- 64:00 — Screen-door Effect is a dealbreaker for Chris.
- 67:25 — VR perspective helped Chris get the skillshot in BTTF in Zen FX3
- 68:45 — Frankenstein table can b-r-e-a-t-h-e.
- 69:00 — Why was 3D taken off the table for digital pinball.
- 71:00 — Destroying the VR 4th wall with peripherals.
- 73:00 — Arcooda’s parallax 3D is the right balance.
BlahCade Pinball Podcast Gen2 Merch
Gifts by BlahCade: Recent Art, Design & Photography | Redbubble
Gifts Art, Design & Photography by BlahCade
- 76:00 — Check out our wares!
- 78:00 — Dry run shirt trial and thoughts.