BlahCade #162: A Unified Experience
Zen Studios has released Williams Pinball on iOS and Android (beta). Is it time they looked at their experiments and unified the UX across them?
In software development, running experiments to test out hypotheses is an important part of product management and product development.
We’ve already worked out that Zen Studios has been doing this for a while on mobile. They were testing out their free-to-play models on mobile, so they could gather the data they needed to implement it correctly in Williams Pinball on iOS and Android.
We explore the different experiments out there on mobile. We also work out what could be done to unify the experience in line with the new Williams Pinball mobile mode.
Williams Pinball production release on Apple
Williams™ Pinball ushers in a new era of mobile pinball excellence, uniting pinball players around the globe with new…
Williams Pinball beta testing opt-in/out link on Google Play
Ways to Listen
Visit ShoutEngine for the post-produced audio of the show, and to stream the audio.
If you listen exclusively on your iOS device, you can jump directly to the show page and subscribe.
And now… on with the show
- 00:20 — Australia Day
- 03:00 — Star Race Glass from 1st Glass
- 03:51 — Fixing old light sockets in pinballs
- 06:21 — Should Jared put Star Race into the Brisbane Masters?
- 09:00 — INDISC oversight: Zaccaria Pinball
Zen Mobile App User Experience Fragmentation
- 15:35 — What we’ve noticed.
- 16:50 — Existing pinball “experiment” apps.
- 18:25 — Williams Pinball rolls the experiments together.
- 19:30 — Different names for the same thing between Steam/Console and Mobile.
- 22:00 — How is the free-to-play (F2P) model implemented in iOS?
- 23:50 — How does pricing differ between Steam vs Mobile?
- 24:53 — How the Aliens stand-alone app F2P model differs from the Williams Pinball model.
- 26:00 — How the Bethesda Pinball stand-alone app differs.
- 26:38 — Make all the standalone apps UI.
- 27:50 — Different achievement tracking systems across the apps.
- 28:30 — Skillz shared balance and how that drives games up-take.
- 30:25— Bethesda Pinball matchup system.
- 35:25 — Should we get customisations in Williams Pinball mobile?
Movies and Stuff
- 39:30 — Alita Battle Angel and IMAX
- 44:15 — Lie-Max vs IMAX
- 51:58 — Lost re-watch, and why short seasons are better.
Nerdpins New Arrivals
- 48:36 — New Nerdpins, courtesy of Joe from Nerdpins
56:05 — Instagram for random Costco Items 😜
57:35 — What is up next from Zen for Williams Pinball?
Support the show
If you want to get links to our merchandise, and donation links you can get it all from this article.