Chain of Events
March 2021 Newsletter
In crypto, one month can feel like an entire quarter — a lot happens. Which makes it that much more difficult to keep up with everything. That’s why we’re launching Chain of Events, a monthly newsletter blog and email. Stay up to date on all things crypto from your favorite crypto blog and directly in your inbox.
What can you expect? Each newsletter will cover:
- ICYMI: a recap of product launches or company announcements
- The Bottom Line: figures around cryptocurrencies and important stats from the market
- Feature of the Month: an in depth look at a Blockchain.com product feature
- The Cryptosphere: the latest news from the crypto ecosystem
- Blockchain.com in the News: insights from the Blockchain.com team in familiar media outlets
Let’s get into it.
ICYMI: Instant USD Transfers + New Faces
This month we were pleased to launch instant USD transfers within both the Blockchain.com Wallet and Blockchain.com Exchange. This feature — now available for all Gold status eligible US residents — allows customers to link a bank account and transfer cash into Blockchain.com instantly.
We also announced our Series C fundraise led by DST Global, VY Capital and Lightspeed and welcomed Lane Kasselman and Jim Messina to the Blockchain.com family. As the crypto ecosystem and Blockchain.com continues to grow, the need for experienced leaders to bring us into the next phase of growth is critical. We’re excited to welcome these two into the fold and continue building great products with their stewardship.
The Bottom Line
After starting the month at $48K, Bitcoin broke through to a new all-time high of $61K. Numbers have since settled back down to the $55K range, and while we hope to watch Bitcoin moon, there’s no telling what will happen next.
Around the same time, the price of Ethereum bounded toward its previous all-time high of $1,900. Numbers have since settled around $1,700.
Whether you’re a bitcoin maximalist, ETH head or somewhere in between, there’s no denying March has brought its fair share of crypto excitement.
Feature of the Month
Starting out in crypto, many people just want to know how to buy their first coin. We’ve made it easier than ever to purchase Bitcoin, Ethereum and other cryptos right in your Blockchain.com Wallet. Simply verify your identity and you’re good to go. With easy payment options like Instant Transfers in the US and Faster Payments in the UK you can buy as fast as the market moves.
NFTs have been all the rage this month. On March 3rd, Rolling Stone reported that Kings of Leon will be the first band to release an album as an NFT. This announcement seemed to spur on other NFT news coverage. Christie’s auction house closed a sale on a Beeple NFT for $69.3 million. Christie’s is the first major auction house to sell a non-fungible token and the importance of this has not been lost on the crypto community. If I were a betting (wo)man, I’d say we haven’t heard the last of NFTs — not by a long shot.
Blockchain.com in the News
- Axios — Jim Messina, former Obama aide — joined our board of directors. Blockchain.com CEO, Peter Smith, spoke with Axios’ Hans Nichols to emphasize the importance of a transparent crypto market.
- Crowdfund Insider — Lane Kasselman joined the Blockchain.com team as our Chief Business Officer.
- CryptoNinjas — Crypto wallet and exchange Blockchain.com adds instant USD transfers.
- Wall Street Journal — Paul Vigna of WSJ covered our $300 million Series C announcement and spoke with CEO, Peter Smith, for the details.