Why the Internet failed and how we can fix it
Learn about Inrupt and Solid and meet our next speaker at Oslo Blockchain Day — Arne Hassel.
The father of World Wide Web, Tim Berners Lee, has spoken. According to him there are three big problems with Internet the way it is today.
- We don`t have any control over our personal data anymore. Personal data today is sold without the consent of users.
- It is has become too easy to spread misinformation and fake news
- Marketing for political purposes has to be transparent and accessible
To solve this TBL has started a new project — Solid. It is an open-source project to restore the power and agency of individuals on the web.
Its mission is to reshape the web as we know it. Solid will foster a new breed of applications with capabilities above and beyond anything that exists today.
Arne Hassel from Inrupt
To develop Solid, TBL has founded Inrupt together with John Bruce.
Inrupt is a startup with the main goal of developing Solid and create new opportunities to application and business developers.
Arne Hassel is one of the main people in Inrupt and we are excited to hear his talk at Oslo Blockchain Day on the 30th of April!
He thinks Solid can revolutionize the world for the better, with focus on interoperability and democratizing data.
Read more: Dagsavisen: Vil gjøre internett bra igjen
Not a blockchain project
The main focus of Oslo Blockchain Day is democratizing technologies, or demtech.
Solid is focusing a lot on decentralized technologies and is often mistaken to be a blockchain project.
However it is not a blockchain project, but there are many ways in which Solid and blockchain projects might interoperate.
In this presentation Arne Hassel will present Solid and give some examples of how blockchain is interesting to the project, and what Solid might offer to blockchain projects.
Read more about Inrupt and Solid
- r/solid (Subreddit for Solid)
- Inrupt web site
- Solid community page by Inrupt
- gitter.im/solid/chat — chat on Solid
- forum.solidproject.org — Forum for Solid
- github.com/solid/solid —an overview over the work that has to be done on GitHub to coordinate development of Solid
- MIT — Solid project
The conference is in just few weeks. The topic is democratizing technologies and we have planned several tracks:
- circular economy
- legal and regulation of blockchain
- banking and stablecoinsh
- humanitarian and civic projects
- registries and governments
- tech and blockchain