Explore Handshake Domains Today
Quickly Resolve Handshake Names
After two months of mainnet going live, there are already domains using the Handshake blockchain. What you may not know is that there are a few steps you’ll need to implement on your devices to access them. This guide was originally put together by Eric Meltzer and another was shared by Steven McKie on Twitter. I’ve added a little more details for people like me who want things over explained.
Resolve Handshake domains the easy way
NextDNS is one of two trusted resolvers in Firefox (the other is Cloudflare) and was cofounded by the current Director of Engineering at Netflix — it’s a trustworthy service.
In addition to resolving Handshake URLs, NextDNS blocks a ton of ads, Facebook trackers, etc, so your browsing will feel faster — while also providing you greater online privacy
Follow these steps to quickly get setup in <2minutes (seriously):
1. Go to nextdns.io and make an account [Tip: you don’t have to actually make an account, but this just makes changing your settings in the future easier without going through these steps again].
Make sure you notate the “ID” listed under “Endpoints”, this is the magic number that’ll tell NextDNS what settings to use as your new resolver.
2. Once you have an account (or not), go to Settings, scroll all the way to the bottom, and turn on “resolve handshake domains”
3. Download the app for your system (Mac, Windows, iOS etc), install, and follow the instructions to set up!
4. Once installed, go to preferences and select “Harden Privacy Mode”. Next go to the configuration tab, click “Use Custom Configuration” and paste your ID from NextDNS.io into the “Configuration ID” field.
5. Finally click “Enable” and you should be all set!
Congratulations! You can now resolve names on the decentralized web via TLDs that are purchased and enabled on Handshake.
For a full list of current names on the network, check out http://DNS.Live which is updated every 15 minutes.
There are a few ways to check and see if it’s working. The easiest is to click here: if it says “you’re connected” then you’re good. If it doesn’t, please come ask for help in the Telegram channel or Discord chat; if no one helps you quickly, feel free to @ an admin, and they’ll get you sorted.
Setup instructions will differ on iOS and Android but the flow should be the same:
- Setup a NextDNS.io account (or don’t, but remember your configuration ID).
- Download the app to your specific device.
- Follow setup instructions, and paste your configuration ID, then enable NextDNS to on.
Want to learn more about Cryptocurrency? Join me Remote Crypto Con:
If you’re enjoying these posts and want me to keep them coming you can tip me some $HNS: hs1qpqtj33nrzmt9lyulah6p2s73zjg5zshkq7r2sq
Or you can buy some Handshake Merch
Edited By: Steven McKie