Whether you are a new or experienced writer on Medium, there are a many reasons you should consider submitting your content to a Medium Publication (as opposed to simply publishing under your personal profile).
- Medium articles in publications tend to attract new groups of readers to your content. While it is useful to have a core base of readers, as Medium keeps growing as a platform, it is increasingly important to share your content with a wider audience.
- Medium publications (typically) allow you to include signatures, bios, and CTAs. Most medium publications make few if any edits to your submitted articles. So even though you may be publishing content that is somewhat attributed to the publication, you can still add a signature, bio, or Call To Action, promoting yourself in your article.
- Developing relationships with various publications can be extremely advantageous. Ultimately, the gatekeeper is a fellow writer. This can work especially well when you contribute to a publication that does not have a lot of contributors. As the publication grows, the owners/editors will likely remember you and (if you are lucky) give your article bit of extra consideration, since you were one of the early writers that helped them boost their publication’s profile.
Submitting Content to a Medium Publication
Although you might think the submission process to Medium publications is as WYSIWYG as its clean user interface for writing stories — this is not the case.
Luckily there are a few reliable ways to submit your content to various Medium Publications.
1. Submit Content/Request to Be a Writer Through Smedian
One of the best resources for submitting your medium articles to publications, is Smedian. Smedian is the largest community of Medium.com editors and writers. Writers can request to contribute to top and fast growing publications, chat, and grow their audience through writing tools. With over 700 publications accepting article submissions in a streamlined process, this should be your first stop when looking for a publication.
Smedian | 705 Publications
Smedian is the largest community of Medium.com editors and writers. Writers can request to contribute to top and fast…
2. Apply Directly to Publication
Some publications are not listed on Smedian or prefer prospective writers to apply directly. Typically, this link will be at the top menu bar of a publication:
Some publications may simply ask a few basic questions, whereas others may require detailed responses and writing samples. This second technique is especially effective if you have some previously published articles. However, the process will vary slightly for each publication, and it will not be as streamlined as Smedian.
3. Contact the Editors of a Publication
If you don’t see a way to formally apply to be a writer for a Medium publication, you can try to reach out to the publication’s editors. How do you find out who the editors are? Under the about section of any publication, you should be able to see a list of editors and approved writers:
You can also see a list of publications that an individual writer on Medium is an editor for by clicking on their profile:
Regardless of how you pursue a specific publication, having your article featured in a Medium publication is one of the best ways to increase views, boost followers, expand your reach as an author, and to develop working relationships with other authors.
Thanks for reading this article! Leave a comment below if you have any questions. Be sure to sign up for the Blogging Guide newsletter, to get the latest tips, tricks, and news about writing on Medium and to join our Facebook group, Medium Writing, to share your latest Medium posts and connect with other writers.
Medium Blogging Guide’s Premium Newsletter
Learn How to Make Money Writing on Medium
If you liked this article, here are some other articles you may enjoy:
How is Medium Article Read Time Calculated?
Medium Read Time vs. Medium Member Reading Time
Casey Botticello is a partner at Black Edge Consulting. Black Edge Consulting is a strategic communications firm, specializing in online reputation management, digital marketing, and crisis management. Prior to founding Black Edge Consulting, he worked for BGR Group, a bipartisan lobbying and strategic communications firm.
Casey is the founder of the Cryptocurrency Alliance, a Super PAC dedicated to cryptocurrency and blockchain advocacy. He is a graduate of The University of Pennsylvania, where he received his B.A. in Urban Studies.