There are over 1,000 publications on Medium. Naturally, there are many geared toward writers. However, many of these publications have grown, in size and authority, through savvy marketing and their early adopter status on the Medium platform.
This is a list of some of the best Medium publications, dedicated to helping writers, who are not these giant publications. These publications all have less than 1,000 followers but provide tremendous value to writers in general, but also to writers looking to achieve success on Medium. Listed in no particular order:
1. Blogging Guide
- Publication Link: Blogging Guide
- Primary Writer/Editor: Casey Botticello
- Why it is Useful to Medium Writers: Blogging Guide is one of the only Medium publications dedicated exclusively to covering tip for writers on Medium. Blogging Guide offers a range of free resources to help Medium writers achieve success, including a Weekly Writer Newsletter and a Facebook Writing Group for Medium Writer’s to share their latest stories.
2. Adlers Writing
- Publication Link: Adlers Writing
- Primary Writer/Editor: Stevie Adler
- Why it is Useful to Medium Writers: Although this publication is geared toward microfiction, it contains a number of extremely useful articles and even an entire section dedicated to Medium specific tips.
3. The Prolific Writer Portal
- Publication Link: The Prolific Writer Portal
- Primary Writer/Editor: Ana Melendez
- Why it is Useful to Medium Writers: Ana does a great job discussing issues writer’s face and she also provides a Facebook Group for writers.
4. inside Blogging
- Publication Link: inside Blogging
- Primary Writer/Editor: Vico Biscotti
- Why it is Useful to Medium Writers: Vico provides sharp, insightful commentary on Medium. He is one of the few writer’s to point out the many issues Medium has as a platform.
5. Writing Is Cheaper Than Therapy
- Publication Link: Writing Is Cheaper Than Therapy
- Primary Writer/Editor: Jo Kuo
- Why it is Useful to Medium Writers: Contains great stories on the experiences of different writers on the platform.
- Publication Link: FreelanceFilter
- Primary Writer/Editor: Meg Stewart
- Why it is Useful to Medium Writers: Includes great Medium writer tips and free writer content, such as a DIY blog calendar.
7. Writer Mom
- Publication Link: Writer Mom
- Primary Writer/Editor: Jewel Eliese
- Why it is Useful to Medium Writers: Focuses on a niche that is otherwise overlooked (Mom’s who write). Lots of people have contributed to this publication and as a bonus, it is a great example of Medium publication design.
8. A Writer Life
- Publication Link: A Writer Life
- Primary Writer/Editor: Cheney Meaghan
- Why it is Useful to Medium Writers: This publication offers lots of good insight into the broader struggles that writer’s face day-today.
9. The Everyday Writer
- Publication Link: The Everyday Writer
- Primary Writer/Editor: Sam H Arnold
- Why it is Useful to Medium Writers: Sam’s publication contains a bunch of valuable posts on how to enhance your writing and how to market your writing.
10. The Writer’s Life
- Publication Link: The Writer’s Life
- Primary Writer/Editor: Todd Foley
- Why it is Useful to Medium Writers: This publication contains great posts on how to sharpen your writing and approaches writing from a creative’s perspective.
Thanks for reading this article! Leave a comment below if you have any questions. Be sure to sign up for the Blogging Guide newsletter, to get the latest tips, tricks, and news about writing on Medium and to join our Facebook group, Medium Writing, to share your latest Medium posts and connect with other writers.
Want to Learn The Secrets of Medium’s Top Writers?
Join my exclusive newsletter, containing writer tips!
If you liked this article, here are some other articles you may enjoy:
59 Medium Writing Tips to Improve Article Performance
Medium writing tips that will help you increase your Medium earnings and improve article performance
Casey Botticello is a partner at Black Edge Consulting. Black Edge Consulting is a strategic communications firm, specializing in online reputation management, digital marketing, and crisis management. Prior to founding Black Edge Consulting, he worked for BGR Group, a bipartisan lobbying and strategic communications firm.
Casey is the founder of the Cryptocurrency Alliance, an independent expenditure-only committee (Super PAC) dedicated to cryptocurrency and blockchain advocacy. He is also the editor of several Medium publications, including Medium Blogging Guide, Investigation, Strategic Communications, K Street, and Escaping the 9 to 5. He is a graduate of The University of Pennsylvania, where he received his B.A. in Urban Studies.