Fortnite wants us to be more social with “Party Worlds”
This story about gaming-as-a-hangout, boiled down, in 1:11 minutes.
What’s the fuss?
The biggest game in the world is about to get even more social by providing players with certain spaces just to hang out and meet new friends. Although the concept isn’t entirely new, having them in Fortnite may transform the “game” into an “experience”.
Fortnite, originally being a simple battle royale game, has evolved into its own platform for gamers to compete, party, or even build.
- The game has offered numerous unique experiences such as virtual concerts with A-list musicians, interactive educational exhibits with historical leaders, and of course a gladiatorial arena to be the last one standing.
- Fortnite has seen over 350 million players since inception that have been able to take advantage of what all the game has to offer.
Fortnite has delved into creating a new social experience for players with their new Party Worlds mode.
- This mode is meant to be a social destination for players, much like your traditional hangout spot in real life.
- According to the developer, this will be the ultimate virtual way to meet up with friends and make new ones, with an emphasis on self-expression.
Boiling it down
Digital social experiences such as this aren’t entirely new.
- Social-based multiplayer games, such as Second Life, is all about making new connections rather than leveling up or beating up monsters.
- These games are just as popular sporting tens of millions of players — it’s no wonder why gaming is the new social media.
The company behind Fortnite, Epic Games, is one of the few companies striving to get the Metaverse going.
- The Metaverse has many definitions, but the most common one is the congruency of different digital domains into one seamless experience.
- With Fortnite’s multiple vastly different experiences in an all-in-one package, they are definitely on their way.