A new collection of APIs are now available that allows developers to create and update File Requests. We’ve updated the reference documentation and added some new guides to help you manage your file requests.
Box File Requests give developers a fast and secure way to request files and
associated metadata from anyone. Using a drag-and-drop graphic
interface, a developer can create a web form that enables them to:
- Securely request files from anyone, no matter whether they have a Box account, without adding collaborators on a folder.
- Solicit additional information with metadata form fields, which you can set as required/optional.
- Enable extra security and tracking with link settings.
- Kick off automated workflows using Box Relay.
To create a copy of an existing file request, all you need is the unique ID of an existing file request, and the ID of the folder to apply the new request to.
Creating a first file request
To create a new file request via the API, a template file request will need be created on any folder in your Box account via the Box web app.
To create a file request, select a folder, and click the 3 dots at the top of the page. Then, select File Request from the menu.
In the next configuration panel, click the Edit button to visit the file request configuration page.
On the configuration page, you can set configure the title and description, before saving the page.
This page will also have the ID of the file request in the URL. Make a note of this as you will need it in the next step.
Copy a template file request
To copy a template file request, you will need the ID of the original file request, and the ID of the folder to apply a copy of the file request to.
Both of this IDs can be determined by visiting the file request and folder in the browser and making a note of the ID. For example:
- https://*.app.box.com/filerequest/2342235 — represents a file request with ID 2342235.
- https://*.app.box.com/folder/342323423 — represents a folder with ID 342323423.
Now, with both of these at hand, you can create a copy of the file request on the folder. It is even possible to update some of the file request settings at the same time.
Additional APIs are available that allow a developer to get more details about a file request, update a file request, and delete a file request.
For more details, please check out the developer documentation.