Desktop, meet cloud: Say hello to Box Drive
At Box, we’re pretty big fans of the cloud, but we know that not everyone loves working from their browser. For a lot of people, the desktop is their preferred place to work and where they feel most comfortable. We get it. That’s why network shares are a thing and why we created Box Sync — so you can keep working where you work best.
But as technology changes and work gets more complex, shares and syncs can’t always keep up, leading to some big challenges. Things like:
- The cloud doesn’t fit on your hard drive. While it’s super convenient to sync files to your desktop, the amount of syncing you can actually do is limited by your hard drive space. So while you’d like to access ALL your files (especially your team files), more often than not, you end up syncing only a subset of your files, which limits the amount of work you can actually do straight from your desktop.
- Storing work on your desktop is risky business. IT teams have been pulling their hair out for years, because they haven’t had proper visibility or control over how files are being accessed, shared, and managed. Plus, if your computer was ever lost or stolen, there wasn’t much you could do about the work files that went along with it.
- Network file shares were great — 20 years ago. Teams are clamoring for greater mobility, easier collaboration, and better compliance — and network shares just can’t keep up. Not to mention the constant maintenance, unpredictable growth, storage sprawl, and never-ending costs that come with them.
In short, people love their desktop, but their desktop isn’t always loving them back. Until today.
Introducing Box Drive, a new way to connect your desktop and the cloud into one secure, seamless experience. Box Drive is the only unlimited cloud drive built for the enterprise, giving you infinite access to all of your files in Box, by streaming them directly to your desktop. That way, you have access to ALL of your content — even tens of millions of files — right at your fingertips, without putting the hurt on your hard drive.
Box Drive is great for business teams and IT teams alike, because it lets everyone work how they want in a way that’s familiar, while keeping information secure. That’s the power of cloud content management from Box. How can Box Drive help your business?
- It easily gets everyone in the cloud. Box Drive is easy for teams to learn, and simple for them to use, because it’s grounded in what they already know: the desktop. Plus, Box Drive supports Mac, Windows, and VDI environments, so everyone gets the same (great) experience!
- Take advantage of all the powerful security innovations we’ve pioneered in the cloud. With Box Drive, you have the same enterprise-grade security and compliance capabilities you do with Box, just on the desktop: HIPAA, FINRA, and FedRAMP compliance, Binding Corporate Rules, data retention policies, and more. And because files are no longer stored on users’ hard drives by default, lost or stolen devices have a much lower risk of data loss.
- Save millions replacing your network file shares. Working with files in Box Drive is just like working with files in a network share, offering the same ease and simplicity without all the high costs and hang-ups. In fact, Box projects that customers across industries such as real estate, healthcare and financial services have the potential to realize cost savings of $1.3M to as high as $6 million or more over three years when retiring legacy infrastructure with Box.