Welcome to the New ‘This American Life’
Building new apps for our favorite radio program.
In 2017, we partnered with “This American Life,” the iconic public radio program and podcast, to design and develop its new iPhone, iPad, and Android apps. Today these apps are available to you on the App Store and Google Play.
Heard by 2.2 million people on more than 500 stations and downloaded by 2.5 million people each week, “This American Life” needed apps as powerful as its award-winning reporting and a user experience as seamless as its interwoven stories.
With the new mobile apps, you can listen to the latest episode or search through the program’s extensive archive, get access to special features like exclusive audio and staff picks, and download all of your favorite episodes to enjoy whenever you find yourself offline.
During the project, our Web, Design, Test, and Engineering teams focused on:
- Developing a more stable app experience.
- Optimizing the UI and UX to feel at home on both mobile platforms (see designs on Dribbble).
- Beautifully blending native and webviews within the apps.
- Incorporating the new “This American Life” branding and design language.
- Creating new code bases to build upon for years to come.
“As a longtime fan, I’m excited about these new apps as both a designer and a user,” says Black Pixel Design Director Tom Carmony. “For more than two decades, ‘This American Life’ has captivated us with its award-winning storytelling. We’re so proud to give these stories new homes on iOS and Android.”