Why we built fundraise.tech
We wanted keep focused on doing meaningful work — and doing it really well.
Three years on and we’ve worked with everyone from multinational businesses, think-tanks, global NGOs and political parties, right down to on-the-ground micro charities doing some super important work. Our business has grown up, we’re still having fun, and we are still learning something new every day.
The rush of project work teaches you the realities nonprofits face. Despite the array of services available, our customers told us some ‘home truths’ about their online fundraising software.
- Expensive — Some providers are charging nonprofits fees of up to 15% per donation received, and on the total donation including Gift Aid. This means that if you give £100 (plus £25 Gift Aid) to charity it’s costing £18.75 in processing fees before even reaching the cause.
- Slow — Modern campaigns typically happen in rapid cycles with big traffic spikes around media launches and social media events. Many traditional providers are using outmoded tech stacks not suitable for delivering the scale and speed required — especially as reaching mobile users becomes ever more important.
- Siloed — It’s no longer enough for your supporter information to sit in isolation. Today it needs to connect in real-time to your supporter database so you can quickly build relationships and define your own workflow directly within your chosen applications.
- Ugly — Truth is, we were pretty shocked by the bad design imposed on nonprofits by existing providers. You may have a great website, but if upon arriving at the donation page the user experience drops off a cliff, brand trust is instantly damaged.
We built fundraise.tech to answer these problems.
- 0% added fees — We only charge a flat fee and nothing on top of the payment provider. That means if you give £100 via direct debit (plus £25 Gift Aid) the charity only get’s charged £1 for the transaction — yes, £1. fundraise.tech integrates directly with Stripe & GoCardless; their fees stand at 1% per transaction, capped at £2 for Direct Debit and 1.4% + 20p for european cards.
- Wicked fast — We’d heard stories of even milliseconds of latency costing dearly in lower conversion rates, and we’d seen up close how Obama for America had used a super fast stack to dramatically optimise their campaign. We wanted to democratise that web stack, making it available to nonprofits both big and small. fundraise.tech pages are built on an ultra performance static CDN platform with nodes all over the world, using the world’s fastest DNS service with instant cache invalidation, atomic deploys and much, much more.
- Integrated — Sending supporter information to your database can be a messy process. We’ve seen .orgs (and political parties) spend many tens of thousands on costly integrations. In reality organisations today typically work off more than one database or application that need to all work together. fundraise.tech comes with out-of-the-box integration for many popular services like MailChimp, Salesforce, Zapier and NationBuilder. And we also have an API if you have a dev team.
- Beautiful — Aside from the home page, donation pages are possibly the most important place on your website. Having a simple, easy-to-use, mobile ready form that’s custom branded is critical to building trust in your cause.