Trust — the latest buzzword to storm the world of influencer marketing. Due to the somewhat constant stream of bad — no, sorry — plain awful partnership executions, both influencers, and brands are under strong surveillance. The stats are in, revealing that people are switching off from Influencer Marketing ‘1.0’. 47% of consumers are fatigued with repetitive influencer posts (enter Armani’s #strongerwithyou campaign) and 23% believe the quality of influencer content is slipping, and I for one agree.
Fake followers, lack of creativity and poor execution have got the average consumer calling BS and it’s time brands wake up to it. Influencer Marketing 2.0 is beginning — or what I like to call Marketing with Influence.
Let’s talk about unboxing. For those that don’t know, I mean it in the literal sense. Unboxing videos are gaining HUGE amounts of attention, and I’d recommend anyone launching a product to seriously consider implementing this into their Marketing with Influence Strategy. These videos [tend to be] created by trusted experts, each masters of their own product category. These guys care, they provide real, authentic information and as a result are creating unique content. Unboxing could be exactly what your brand needs to build or in some cases re-build a trusted relationship with your audience.
Why are Unboxing videos getting all the views?
- They are addictive — unboxers tap into that child-like anticipation we all feel for something shiny and new. Not to mention, these videos have practical use, providing consumers with an insight into what they can expect from products.
- Real reviews — informative information coupled with in-depth experiences add a tonne of value, and are proven to speed up buying decisions. The value exchange is high, naturally strengthening the relationship with consumers.
- Stats don’t lie — a study by Google revealed 1 in 5 consumers have watched an unboxing video. In 2017 the term alone had 60 million searches and 3 billion views on YouTube — more than triple that of 2013.
How can I get my product unboxed?
- Your product has to be good — these guys are all about real reactions, they value their credibility above all else. So a fat pay cheque won’t cut it.
- Grab their attention — I recommend a good old fashioned pitch. Demonstrate why your product is special, talk them through features, explain the tech. Do all you can to ensure your product is well received.
- Build their trust — marketing with influence doesn’t mean sending out blanket emails to copious influencers, in the hope they build trust for you. It starts with you.
How should I measure success?
- Exposure v sales? Marketing with Influence campaigns are first and foremost for brand awareness, their intention should be to gain credibility and help drive brand fame. Besides, Unboxing will be just one segment of your wider strategy, right? (rhetorical question).
- Track EVERYTHING. Make sure you collect as much data as you can from your influencers. Where possible provide them with unique codes and links to offer their fans. For larger campaigns, I strongly suggest investing in a tracking management platform.
Unboxing isn’t the future, it’s the now and it’s growing FAST. You have the opportunity here to build trust with credible creatives who produce quality content AND gain huge exposure to a very engaged audience. As far as gaining attention goes, it’s a no brainer.
For more check inspiration, insight and ideas check out my site www.philkemish.com or listen to the “Brandtrepreneur” Podcast on Spotify Itunes or any good platform.