Initial overview document
The Brazil 135 Ultramarathon was inspired in concept and in spirit by the Badwater Ultramarathon in Death valley, California and was created by Dr. Mario Lacerda a veteran ultra runner.
This document will be my planing document for the race. I will use this document to keep my notes. Will be updated continuously.
I need this race to complete my curriculum vitae for Badwater 135 application. Date is January 12th, and is a 217 kilometers race.
Brazil 135 in short; dirt roads, many climbs, hydration. A lot of rainforrest. Hot climate.
Main notes from Link
- 120 hours
- 48 hours for Badwater qualification
- 1- You must print your BIBs.
- 2- You and also your support team members, have to have two ( 2 ) BIBs . One (1) BIB will be attached in your front, another one(1) in your back
- 3- It is up to you to pick the collors
- 4- The size is 1/2 A4 and The numbers and letters dimmensions are: 5 Cm hight for 1cm large. See the attachment for more details.
- 5- Your support team members must have BIBs too. Their bibS ARE LISTED ON THE BRAZIL135 Website.
- Aguas da Prata, 33 km
- Borda da Mata, 135 km (blue)
- Paraisopolis, 217 km (red)
- Need to finish before The Badwater Time Qualification which is 48 hours
- 1st place gives direct BW135 ticket.
- No idea yet, but someone is saying that I should aim for sub 23 hours (which is below race course record).
- Luciano Alves and wife will support me. In addition they will get two additonal resouces. Alves ran this race in 2018 at 25h47. I met him at the start of Spartathlon 2021 (ref. below).
- Support car is needed
- Drop Bags are allowed in the specific points according to the rules letter H.
- Start line: City of São João da Boa Vista , state of São Paulo
- Finish line: City of Paraisópolis , state of Minas Gerais
- A 217 km point-to-point course on the Caminho Da Fé.
- Only 17 km of relatively flatter terrain, 9.000 + meters of cumulative ascent, 8.500 + meters of cumulative descent.
- The course route is on the Mantiqueira Mountains — ( A Sub Range of the Andes Cordillera ).
Kleber Felipe dos Santos have the BR 135 record with 23:29:33 h from 2018.
According to https://www.gov.br/, there are — as of September 13th 2022 — new rules for entering Brazil. Ref. link
- Travelers may opt for providing either a proof of vaccination or a negative test.
- An antigen test or RT-PCR test, with a negative or non-detectable result for Covid-19, carried out one day before departure.
I have sent Mail sent to race organisers at October 8th to verify if there are any race specific requirements or other regional rules.
Make sure to check requirments for transit countries.
No strong recommendation for the area I will be running. → Not needed.
Recommended if more than 10 years since last dose. → Needed.
Recommended, and is normally done as combo with Hapatitt B. → Needed.
Traveling / accommodation
- Airport: São Paulo Guarulhos (GRU) international airport
- Find accommodation close to start line which is City of São João da Boa Vista , state of São Paulo
- heat training
- long decents and acents
- 26 to 36 degree with 38 degree Celcius feeling
- Race fee: EUR 1010
- Travel : EUR 1500
- Hotel (7 nights): EUR 500
— — — — — — — —
To do list:
- Clarify covid-19 situation — DONE-
- Check covid-19 requirements for Schiphol / Amsterdam transit
- Book accommodation
- Organise support/crew / pacers
- Figure out the mandatory equipment requirements
- Arrange crew car
- Arrange funding
- register support using following link
- bring USD cash
- pay start fee USD 990 cash
- Set up crowdfunding for the start fee
- print out international vaccination card
- print out and sign Medical Form And Liability, ref. link.
- print BIB (also for crew)