Who funded your candidate: Spencer Thibodeau
An in-depth look at who funded city council and school board candidates in Portland, Maine in 2018.
This is the second in a six-part series. Today we’re looking at city councilor and mayoral candidate Spencer Thibodeau. We will also be looking at Nick Mavodones, Belinda Ray, Jon Torsch, Emily Figdor, and Jeanne Swanton in this series.
The records below were submitted by the candidate to the Portland City Clerk, who does not require that information be submitted digitally. The Clerk retains the records on paper, so the only way to compile information is by taking scans/screenshots of each page. (Yes, it’s 2019 and we’re still pushing paper.)
- Brandon Mazer currently serves as Vice-Chair of the City of Portland Planning Board.
- Sean Dundon currently serves as Chair of the City of Portland Planning Board.
- James “Jim” Brady is a local real estate developer, most known for the Press Hotel and the 58 Fore Street redevelopment, also known as CPB2.
- Patricia Hagge is married to Cyrus Hagge, a local real estate developer.
- Toby McGrath is a registered lobbyist, who currently represents Maine Professionals for Regulating Marijuana and Stonewall Kitchen, among others.
- Michael Saxl is a registered lobbyist, and currently represents Visa, Harvard Pilgrim Healthcare, AT&T, and the Maine State Chamber of Commerce, among others. He has also previously represented Trans Canada Pipelines, Ltd.
- James Cohen is a registered lobbyist, and currently represents Emera Energy, Summit Natural Gas, and Verizon, among others.
- Justin Alfond is a local business owner, but also a real estate developer. He has been part of organizations that have recently bid on parcels of public land that the City has sold to private developers.
- Gerard Conley is the attorney who represented Alex Gray of Waterfront Concerts, when Gray was accused of domestic violence.
- Tom Watson is the owner of Port Property Management.
- Christopher O’Neil is a registered lobbyist, and currently represents Delta Dental. He has previously represented State Farm Insurance and Bank of America.
- David Eaton is a Senior Originator at Housing and Health Care Finance, LLC — a healthcare real estate firm.
- Barry Sheff is a Senior Principal and Senior Project Manager at Woodward & Curran, where he focuses on public sector infrastructure and private sector real estate development.