Give Me Your Tired, Your Poor… LOL J/K =P
And the BIG GREEN LADY at the door says, “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door! But wait —
1. You must be THIS TALL to ride this ride
2. You must read, write and speak ENGLISH fluently
3. You must be educated, we don’t want you taking scholarships away from “our” kids
4. You must have a skill, but you can’t be THAT good at it, because we don’t want you taking the high-paying jobs
4. You must believe in the Lord Jesus Christ
5. You must pass THIS test …and this one …and this one — bend over, please [snap!]
6. You can’t have a criminal record, God forbid, none of US have one or know anyone who does
7. Your color must fall within these Pantone shades (see chart)
8. You can’t *really* be “poor” that’s just a figure of speech
9. We don’t *really* want you if you’re tired or sick, either
10. And finally, that part about “wretched refuse” (people struggling to overcome their status as second-class citizens due to ethnicity, economic standing, physical disability, diminished mental capacity, etc.) since most Americans don’t even know what that line means …you can’t fall into any of those categories either.
If you don’t meet these ten criteria, please exit off the other side of the ship. Everyone else, enjoy the ride. Oh wait, pay the man as you enter.”
These ten criteria were gathered from, and appear to be the consensus of much of, my Facebook timeline. …Sad.