Recipe: Buttermilk Fried Cauliflower
Follow along as I make this for the first time!
We had some cauliflower & buttermilk I wanted to use up from Natural Grocers, so I decided to make this dish I’ve been wanting to try for a while! I’ve had cauliflower wings, and this is sort of like that! This recipe is vegetarian — so it’s perfect for a Meatless Monday.
I adapted this recipe from Charlotte Fashion Plate, who basically taught me how to make fried cauliflower!
- Wash and remove leaves from cauliflower.
- Cut away at the core.
- Cut the cauliflower into 1-inch steaks or pieces, depending on your preference. Smaller pieces will end up being more crunchy, but steaks will cook more evenly.
- Heat enough oil in a pan to fry.
- Create a dredging station with: 1) the buttermilk, and 2) the flour, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Heat olive oil & drop cauliflower in. Allow to brown. Flip as needed.
- Remove the fried cauliflower and place on paper towels to drain any excess oil.
In order to cook the entire cauliflower head, it will probably take about 3–4 batches. As you’re frying the cauliflower, you can prepare the dipping sauce.
- Combine mayonnaise and hot sauce in a bowl and mix well. Taste and adjust to your preference. You can also swap in sriracha or another hot sauce.
Originally published at http://barr.love on August 16, 2021.