We love the Mediterranean diet for so many reasons. But we’ll just cover three here:
- It’s not really a “diet” in the faddy sense that we commonly think of nowadays. For one thing, you can eat cheese and red wine in moderation! (Which we will, thank you.) It’s all about healthy fats, lean proteins, and tons of veggies. It’s more about a balanced way of life than any sort of unyielding restriction.
- The Mediterranean diet is widely accepted as mostly healthy for everyone, and our team of in-house dietitians second this. (You don’t have to just believe them, though. You can click on links like these if you feel like it.) Amongst many other things you probably want, it’s connected to living a long life, weight loss, and having a healthy heart and strong bones.
- Finally, it’s connected to the Mediterranean. Which, combined with the fact that you can drink pinot noir on this “diet”, kind of makes us feel like we’re on vacation. (Yeah, we’ll be eating our grain bowls in our swimsuits.)
So we made it a collection.
Now online and on your Caviar app, you’ll now be able to head to the Mediterranean Diet collection for all things heart healthy, or just when you want to pretend like you’re in Greece for a second. Keep in mind that our collection is based off of the diet — not just Mediterranean food — so while you’ll see lots of fish and maybe some hummus, you’ll also see poke bowls and chicken wraps.
Here’s a little more on what you will and won’t see.
Lots of this stuff:
- Dishes that are plant-forward. A.k.a. tons of veggies and some fruit.
- Seafood-centric items. Like fish tacos. Or maybe salmon on a bed of quinoa.
- Dishes that include healthy fats, like avocado, nuts, seeds, and olive oil.
- Whole grains. Your quinoas, brown rice, dishes with “spelt,” etc.
- Beans and legumes. Like chickpeas. Red kidney beans. (Should this whole blog be us just naming beans?)
- Red wine! But like, don’t go crazy.
- Some poultry, eggs, cheese, and yogurt.
Not so much of this:
- Red meat. (Don’t worry, we have a separate collection for burgers.)
- Sweets. (Separate collection for ice cream, too. Oops.)