Celo Updates | August 2019
Get involved with Celo: Tools, Funds, Retreats & More
New resources to build on Celo
Whether you’re just getting started or have a business up and running, there’s a variety of resources to start building on Celo.
- Apply for the Celo Ecosystem Fund. A Polychain-led venture, supported by founding investors Andreessen Horowitz and Celo, this fund is focused on strategic, seed-stage deployments into tools and services which will leverage Celo’s protocol to build new financial infrastructure, particularly in the developing world.
- Explore ContractKit and DAppKit, the first developer libraries for the Celo platform, allow you to build native DApps.
- Suggest a project as a Celo Fellow.
Join us at Prosper
If you’re working on a blockchain x social impact project — join us for The Prosper Retreat on November 1–3 near San Francisco, California (the weekend after SF Blockchain Week). We’re bringing together innovators from all over the world to envision, ideate, and create a beautiful new world together.
A Cryptocurrency for Every Juan
Insights from the Celo Philippine Pilot, as told from Celo Fellow Angelo Paolo Kalaw. The team worked with 23 young Filipinos aged between 18–35 years old to download and test the Celo Wallet for 2 weeks.
Vielen Dank, Berlin
Berlin Blockchain Week was action-packed. We launched the Celo SDK, Polychain announced the Celo Ecosystem Fund, we had speakers at Web3, DappCon, and a handful of side events, sponsored the ETHBerlin hackathon, and hosted a collection of mission-aligned experiences focused on self-care and community. We were impressed by both the warmth and talent of people in the Berlin ecosystem and are excited to continue building the local team and community.
If you are interested in a role in the Berlin office or have an event idea to collaborate on, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
a16z — Mastering Stablecoins talk
Sep Kamvar, founder of Celo (and co-author of the original whitepaper that described the Celo protocol) — and former professor at MIT as well as personalization lead at Google and consulting professor at Stanford — shares what stablecoins are (cryptocurrencies who prices are stabilized via various mechanisms); what the different types of stablecoins are; and what the important considerations are for thinking about adopting them.
Celo around the world
Going to DevCon? Join our Telegram group.
Sep 9–10 | DeFi Summit: Banking the Unbanked [London, UK]
Sep 10 | SummitETHReal Summit [Tel Aviv, Israel]
Sep 12 | Xoogler Paris Blockchain For Social Good [Paris, France]
Sep 11–13 | AFI Global Policy Forum [Kigali, Rwanda]
Sep 12 | Decentralized Finance Meetup [Mexico City, Mexico]
Sep 12–13 | OECD Global Blockchain Policy Forum [Paris, France]
Sep 15 | ETHReal Summit [Tel Aviv, Israel]
Sep 17 | Taller con Celo: Bienvenidos Al Buen Dinero [Mexico City]
Sep 23–25 | Advancing Democracy through Technology [San Francisco]
Sep 23–25 | Crypto Springs [Palm Springs, USA]
Sep 25–27 | UN General Assembly [NYC, USA]
Sep 26 | Blockchain For Social Impact [San Francisco, USA]
In case you missed it
- ChainNews: Polychain establishes an eco-fund for the financial application open source platform Celo and publishes the SDK (Polychain 为金融应用开源平台 Celo 建立生态基金，并发布 SDK)
- Yahoo Finance & Decrypt: Libra competitor Celo unveils mobile DeFi app tools for Ethereum developers
Videos + Podcasts
- a16z talk by Sep: Mastering Stablecoins: Beyond the Volatility
- Zero Knowledge Podcast with Marek and Kobi: Light clients & ZKPs with Celo
- DappCon talk by Marek: Building Mobile-First Dapps
- DappCon talk by Vanessa: Designing for Humans
Celo is an open platform that makes financial tools accessible to anyone with a mobile phone. Our mission is to build a monetary system that creates the conditions of prosperity for all.
Celo was founded in 2017 and is based in San Francisco, Berlin, Buenos Aires, and around the world.