Nobody knows what another soul has to live with
We all fall into the trap of feeling alone at times, like we are the only ones suffering and can’t find a way out. The heaviness that weighs us down can become so overwhelming that we withdraw and disappear into ourselves. This feeling may be more familiar to some than others. It can become a way of being that alienates us from others and keeps us inside our own heads ruminating about everything wrong in our lives. It’s at times like these that we need clarity and some help to put things into perspective.
Just to be clear there is no right or wrong way to deal with worry or sadness. There is just your way of managing it. Whatever works for you. What may help is to remember that every soul on the planet undergoes trials and tribulations. Each one of us struggles with something or other and yet despite this we find a way to continue living. One person’s struggle is not comparable to another person. We are all unique and have different ways of coping so try not to minimize your own problems when considering what is happening around you. Or feel so isolated that you go into total withdrawal. In order to stay as balanced as possible remember the following facts:
- You have survived everything you have gone through up to this point.
- There are still people you haven’t met and things you haven’t experienced yet.
- The past cannot be changed, but the lessons from it can be remembered.
- Overthinking often leads to sadness, try being solution and not problem focused. If something is not in your control then worrying about it will not help. If there is something you can do to help yourself then be pro-active in doing it to alleviate the worry.
- Often what other people say and do is more about them than you. Try not to assume the worst.
- Smiling is contagious, kindness is free, do both more often and it will be reflected straight back at you.
- Try to avoid harming others with your words, actions and behaviors. Instead practice compassion and empathy for yourself first and foremost and then with others.
- It is okay to let go and move on from past hurts. You don’t need to forgive or forget you can simply move on. Forgiveness comes from the heart when you are ready. Not to be rushed. Forgetting is not so easy to do with painful memories. What you can do is make peace with the past and acknowledge what happened. Process the emotions and move forwards.
- Everybody is on a different journey, sometimes your paths intertwine and special people enter or leave your life. Some are meant to just be a chapter in the book of your life, others last until the end. You won’t know which is which until afterwards so be open and allow the flow of relationships in and out of your life.
- Trying too hard to please everyone else at the cost of your own health and well being is like suffocating your own soul slowly. If you do not look after yourself then nobody else will. Being giving does not mean denying oneself. You can give to yourself AND others simultaneously to ensure a balanced life.