Where To Start
Quick Tips For Beginning An Eco-Friendly Lifestyle
There are a lot of things to consider when wanting to make a more sustainable and eco-friendly change to your lifestyle. It could be personal choices you make in how you dress, shop, etc. It could be how you live at home.
It can also feel overwhelming where to start, which is why this post is here — quick things to think about and consider! Making changes can be difficult, and it can honestly be expensive, but it doesn’t have to be. Make the choices that fit your life now without disrupting your life to the point of becoming a hinderance.
Let’s be honest, we are have dealt with a lot in the past couple years, making major life changes is a lot to take on, so let’s make this easy for everyone.
Step 1: Choose to make the eco-friendly journey.
Simply by being here and seeking out how you can make changes is the first step. You’re already done with the first step!
Step 2: Determine what your immediate goals are.
Do you want to reduce your plastic use? Do you want to go Zero Waste? Use more reusable products? Make some goals, short and long-term.
Read our experience with a Zero Waste Challenge.
Short-term goal ideas:
- Reduce plastic bag usage at home
- Reduce paper product overuse (paper towels, napkins)
- Use washable, reusable food storage containers
Long-term goal ideas:
- Transportation: Take public transit, drive electric or hybrid cars
- Home: Improve your home with climate change friendly improvements (Energy Star products, better insulation, solar)
- Low or Zero Waste lifestyle
Step 3: Immediate things to do now
- Buy reusable tote bags for shopping (they can be used for more than just groceries!). Tip: Keep some in your car, some at home for walking/ biking trips.
- Get a hot/ cold cup for water and coffee.
- Find a store where you can buy bulk foods. Grocery chains like Whole Foods, Sprouts, Fresh Thyme, and others offer some bulk food selections.
- Start composting your food scraps.
- Skip the paper towels, use cloth napkins, rags and towels.
- Follow other climate-friendly publications: Climate Conscious
- Follow tags on Medium: Sustainability, Eco Friendly, Climate Change
The Next Step: This is an evolving list!
There is no end to the options we can suggest. Do you have a suggestion for us? Want to contribute and help us continue adding to this site?
Last Update: Jan. 17, 2022