In times of upheaval, I hear this kind of answer from well-meaning, conservative Christians:
“We just need to focus on the gospel.”
Do you think you can stop terrorists — and their apologists standing behind your pulpits — by saying that?
The gospel is about 34 words long.
It is the message that:
Jesus, God incarnate, was crucified, buried and rose again, appearing to Peter and the other disciples and then to a great number. He was crucified for our sins and was raised for our justification.
You cannot solve book-length problems without a book-length solution.
And we have one. We have the whole Bible. We need the whole Bible — applied.
By the way, the Book of Nature also reveals God, and we need that book too.
If you want to see what happens when objectivity in biblical hermeneutics is thrown out the window, here is a graphic.
When (and to the extent that) men like Timothy Keller, Ligon Duncan, Mark Dever, or even Albert Mohler fail to uphold objectivity in biblical hermeneutics, they bear terrible spiritual fruit.
They will have spiritual children: men like Russell Moore, David Platt, Jemar Tisby, Matt Chandler, Ed Stetzer, and Thabiti Anyabwile. These children today are preaching disparity equals injustice — and therefore, if you are against the Leftist narrative, then the Bible is against you.
Such men have their own spiritual children: the children marching on the streets in early June 2020. These are the barbarians that such men have educated and will now defend — or even march with.
Ideas have consequences.
Stop saying we just need the gospel.
That is no answer to how to defend your family and your church against the enemies who seek to destroy it.
The gospel is the message that you must protect.
And all of God’s words are your sword.
Gird up the loins of your mind. Learn how to use truth as the defensive (and sometimes offensive) weapon it is made to be.
This is why we need new Christian Intellectuals.
Do you want to see more of this?
Whenever you’re ready, here are 5 ways I can help you grow your audience:
1. Writers Write: The 5-Day Challenge. Learn to write in a way that readers find relevant with my mini-course. Get instant access here.
2. The Quick Win Workshop: This is a private community with essential training + a personalized roadmap to grow your audience. Join here.
3. Personal Mentoring Program. Discover the skills and up-to-date best practices to grow your audience in a way that creates income this month. If you would like to set up a 20 minute call to share your goals and see if the program could be a good fit for you, click here.
4. Live and Remote Speaking. Create a transformation for your audience as they learn how online communication can be a part of good Kingdom stewardship and as they learn the practical steps to become public champions of truth. Email me here, and I’ll get you the details.
5. The Complete Package. If you’d like to work directly with me, email me here and let me know what you need reviewed/written/designed/built.