Ten Things To Do When You’re Having A Bad Day
‘Breathe, it’s just a bad day… not a bad life’
‘I’m just having a shitty day’
‘Everything is going wrong today’
‘I just want to curl up and cry’
A work related event, a major inconvenience getting the kids ready for school or just waking up on the wrong side of the bed can set you off. It is a feeling I’m sure we are all too familiar with, especially over the last year or so, but rest assured there are plenty of outlets and things to do when you’re having a bad day that you feel like you’re never going to be able to shake.
The feeling of overwhelming negativity that can carry on into the rest of the evening and even the next day can really set a precedent to your mood, actions and even your relationships with others. If you can remember a day like this, or is even happening as you’re reading this, you’re in luck. Below are ten things you could do when you’re having a bad day…
- Unplug — sometimes it is the best thing you can do. Take a step back. Cut back to the basics. Simplify your life and literally switch off
- Self care — we all know the importance of this now and self care is an absolute must when things are hard. Yet, it is often the last on your mind. You need to treat your mind, your body and your soul well and with respect. Nourish yourself in all ways possible and you will feel a real release and relief
- Get outside — having a change of scenery and also releasing some endorphins can never be bad for you
- Don’t blame — the blame game never helped anyone. It doesn’t improve the situation, if anything it wastes energy and focusing on revenge or backlash has no positives. Focus on your own journey, channel your energy elsewhere
- Look at what you have — on these days it can feel like everything and everyone is against you. Stop, breathe, hold that thought. There are positives in all situations. Remind yourself what you have. Look deep for them. There is so much to be grateful for
- Change your clothes — this is an extremely simple way to signal to the brain this is a new beginning (even if it’s the end of the day). Even jumping in the shower and literally rinsing the bad day off of you can make you think it’s a new start
- Vent — writing it down in a notebook, texting a friend, ringing a family member, releasing the thoughts you have and not keeping them pent up will really help you get rid of that negative energy by dispersing it
- Treat yourself — from a cup of your favourite tea and your favourite biscuits, to getting into your softest most luxurious loungewear or pjs. Do something nice for yourself however small it may be. Importantly, be kind to yourself too!
- Make a playlist — having a playlist on hand for when you’re experiencing this feeling or one of these days with some belters that will boost your mood. Music is more powerful than you think. It can raise your mood, calm you down, relax you and allows us to feel so many emotions
- Have a hug — believe it or not a good hug releases the love drug called oxytocin. This calms your nervous system and boosts positive hormones. It also lowers your cortisol levels which is the stress hormones
Bad days happen. There is no two ways about it. Driving yourself crazy about turning them into good days and trying your hardest to avoid them full stop is IMPOSSIBLE. But having the tools and making the decisions to make sure these days don’t permeate into other aspects of your life
Make the choice yourself to put an end to your bad day.