Larger Scale Testing
Taking back from the feedback given in this week’s presentation, Edward, Kingsley and I started testing fabrics in a larger scale.
Using the jig that Edward and Kingsley had fabricated, we started initial testings with the latex at a dimension of 480 x 480 mm. The result shows that the latex was able to stretch 100% from its original size with a total new size of 960 x 960 mm before tearing.
However, there are flaws in the result of the testings due to the problem caused by the jig. The latex is attached to the jig using screws at 3 points on each side of the material caused the latex to tear at a certain point. With this issue at hand, we decided to find a way to clamp the material onto the jig instead of screwing it. Adding to the issue of clamping, the jig also has a problem in moving in a uniform manner.
Currently, what we have been doing is fixing the jig so that it could work more precisely. After we have done this, we will be testing the latex again, to see its tensile strength as well as test on other elastic fabrics which are Nylon Spandex (82% Nylon, 18% Spandex) and Jersey (83% Polyester, 12% Nylon, 5% Spandex).
From the testings we have done so far, I have been leaning towards using Nylon Spandex as the fabric we would use for the pavilion. The Nylon Spandex has a fairly good tensile strength compare to the other fabrics. Furthermore, unlike the latex which if used might cause people to feel stuffy, Nylon Spandex can give the users a better air ventilation in the pavilion. The only problem with Nylon Spandex is the fact that it is not waterproof. However, that problem can be solved using the waterproof coating spray.