WEEK 5: A NEW APPROACH
27/03/17 — Individual Reflection
We had our week 5 presentation today and I feel as though we need to consider new ways of representing our work to the class. Ultimately, we need to consider new ways of displaying our findings in a logical process which breaks it down into stages, and one that covers a variety of areas. This is so we can easily share our concepts with everyone, even those not too familiar of our area.
For example, I believe we should draw inspiration from ARUP’s process of breaking down the design process during their presentation, as it will help to devise a clear picture to the class.
After the presentation we spoke to Alexis as a group to figure out a new approach. We agreed on a few tasks that need to be addressed asap, they included;
- Development of a central model in Revit — connect to Flux and share with the class
- Develop a generic workflow — where any iteration can be plugged into so we can gain fundamental documentation of that design efficiently; i.e. schedules (e.g. panelling: number each, dimensions, etc).
- Simple iteration — choosing a simple iteration to break down and plug into said workflow
CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK FOR THE BIM GROUP
- Simplistic diagrams with minimal elements
- Providing sense of scale (scale, key)
- Working prototypes are most important
- Look into other types of performance analysis (Look into programs like Elephant: structure analysis)
- Look into CumInCAD as a resource
- Assign specific roles to each person to ensure work is divided evenly:
Bim group 1 + roles
Montanna — Structural and Performance Analysis Specialist
Catherine — Designs Specialist + Flux Specialist
Emily — Designs Specialist + Flux Specialist
Bim group 1.1 + roles
Merk —Scheduling Specialist: Within Dynamo spreadsheets
Mark —Workflows Specialist: Live Link Software (Rhynamo, Mantis Shrimp, Flux, and being able to read it as a Revit family, masses, properties etc.)
Saff —Cost Specialist: Exploring conventional ways of documentation with non conventional ways (using sigma to find out costs over entire project)
MY ROLE + INTERESTS
Currently I have been looking into Flux and various Dynamo packages including Archi-Lab Mandrill and how we can create beautiful data visualisations. I am also starting to delve into Data-Shapes.
Although, I am greatly interested and confident in creating ideas for designs, documentation (presentation wise, using InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) as well as documentation in relation to making plans and sections (using Rhino, Revit), so a bit of everything.