The Impact of the Internet of Things on Customer Service
Organizations have shifted their priorities in the last couple of years and today, one of their strong focus areas is customer service and satisfaction in order to survive in cutting edge markets. Internet of Things (IoT) is a recent addition to the scenario and it is already impacting customer service for organizations. Moreover, research suggests that in the coming years, it would have a tremendous impact on customer service. Increased connectivity is leading to increased expectations from the consumers which are increasing the pressure and demand placed on these organizations to meet those expectations to retain those customers.
IoT solutions will impact the customer experience not in the B2C market but also in the B2B market with its rise in connected devices along with other technologically advanced solutions like 5G technology, AI, blockchain, etc. Organizations are now trying to address the pain points with minimum human intervention. This will result in faster problem solving, reduced costs, and eventually lead to preemptive service which would help in anticipating customer issues. IoT is being used to connect smart devices, products to provide a seamless experience, increase loyalty, retain customers and attract new customers.
The impact of IoT solutions on customer service:
- Customer services are becoming increasingly complex: IoT solutions will be making the whole process of customer service a bit more complex. Customers would be using other IoT devices in their home or office and there might be a high chance that your organization’s products/services might overlap and interact with other products. This would lead to an increase in the complexity while addressing the customer query as other products also play an important role in their issues and concerns and that needs to be taken into account while resolving their problems. IoT development companies need to consider possible integration with other IoT solutions in the industry.
- Customer Service might become smarter: One of the advantages of implementing IoT solutions for customer service is the huge amount of data it generates. All the connected devices along with integration with other technologies help in the constant gathering of data on these customers. This huge database is an essential asset for organizations. If analyzed properly, this data can help you reach out to your customer more efficiently, giving your organization better insights on what your customers are looking forward to and how they are using your services. Organizations can further analyze the data and upsell/cross-sell to your consumers and provide them with value-added services to achieve improved customer satisfaction. The mentioned data collection and analysis might have a huge impact once more devices are interconnected along with sensors.
- Automation: The Internet of Things has a lot of advantages and automation is one of them. Automation could be implemented across customer service like it is being implemented across other functions. Systems are being developed to monitor and manage different connected devices and sensors in an IoT system and provide the user with a dashboard to resolve their problems. This would help in eliminating a layer of human interference and save the customer service center for those circumstances wherein actual intervention is required. Proactive customer service may be needed as these service professionals can respond to the information collected by these IoT devices and reach out to the consumer when the automated solutions cannot solve their concerns.
- Personalization: IoT-based devices are based on connectivity which is generating a huge volume of consumer data which helps organizations to transform the way they interact with their customers. With the real-time data collected by these devices, customer service professionals gain access to the focused information to think beyond the driven support. Furthermore, it will help them troubleshoot the problems better and suggest new services and solutions to their customers.
- Shifting from multichannel to omnichannel support: As the devices are now becoming smarter, customer support professionals will also get smarter. They will be able to access the product information, installation information, and other important FAQs before even starting to troubleshoot the problem. But one of the major challenges for businesses is to move from a multichannel environment to an omnipresent environment. Omnichannel environments will help in providing effective analysis to the customer service professionals by giving them an overview of the customer while proactively engaging in resolving the problem and generating additional revenue for the organization.
The Internet of Things is helping organizations in serving their customers in a better way which is directly increasing their expectations when it comes to customer service. IoT solutions would help organizations provide better customer service through greater automation, enhanced connectivity, and a huge amount of databases. It might make the processes a bit more complicated, but with that complication, it will also provide enhanced solutions and analysis to help the businesses. All in all, organizations should partner with IoT development service providers to have access to greater and improved versions of tools to exceed their customer expectations.