Columbus Kindness Month
The Columbus Foundation and Besa have joined forces to launch Columbus Kindness Month in February, rallying the community to generate acts of kindness while uplifting the city people are proud to call home.
Several prominent Columbus individuals, businesses and organizations — from Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams to Homage to performer Nina West — are partnering on the mission to connect, inspire, and advance people throughout central Ohio.
“Now, more than ever, people want to be the change they want to see in the world. They want to take action. They want to make the world a better place,” said Besa Executive Director Matthew Goldstein. “We hope this month creates easy ways for them to do it while uplifting our city.”
“Columbus Kindness Month will build community using the power of unconditional acts of kindness,” said Kelley Griesmer, The Columbus Foundation, Vice President, Special Projects & Manager, Walter Family Philanthropy
Columbus Kindness Month will promote different themes each week of February (love, connect, uplift, inspire, and advance), encouraging people to become Kindness Ambassadors by performing acts of kindness and sharing them on social media with the hashtag #givekindnesscolumbus. The Columbus Foundation and Besa will choose certain acts to amplify. The month also features several planned projects and opportunities.
Among the growing list:
- Homage will sell limited-edition “Give Kindness” t-shirts beginning February 17, and all proceeds will benefit charity.
- The Nina West Fund, Homage, Sherman & Hiteshew Interior Design, The Columbus Foundation, and Besa will team up to produce a $30,000 makeover of the Dress for Success Columbus fitting rooms.
- A clothing drive for Volunteers of America, which recently lost 225,000 pounds of clothing in a devastating warehouse fire, will be held.
- Volunteers will complete several projects throughout the month, from crafting art projects with senior citizens to writing notes of love on coffee cups that strangers will receive.
- For every act of kindness shared with the #givekindnesscolumbus hashtag, Re:work Furnishings will donate a handmade keychain to a family emerging from poverty into a new home.
- Several other partners will launch kindness initiatives throughout the month, including: Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams, Harmony Project, Hot Chicken Takeover, Mikey’s Late Night Slice, and more.
About The Columbus Foundation
The Columbus Foundation is the trusted philanthropic advisor® to 2,500 individuals, families, and businesses who have created charitable funds and planned gifts to make a difference in the lives of others through the most effective philanthropy possible. Serving the region for more than 70 years, The Columbus Foundation is ranked among the ten largest community foundations in the United States. For more, visit columbusfoundation.org or call 614/251–4000. Connect at email@example.com.
Besa is a Columbus nonprofit dedicated to supporting those who need it most by connecting people and businesses with local charities. Besa offers a portal at www.givebesa.org where Columbus residents can easily find and register for volunteer opportunities citywide; it hosts drives for various nonprofits; and it helps corporate partners manage and enhance their philanthropic efforts. For more, visit GiveBesa.org. Connect at firstname.lastname@example.org.