OIC staff take part in insurance journal webinar on climate change and insurance
Staff from the Office of the Insurance Commissioner took part in a July 14, 2022 webinar hosted by Insurance Journal covering insurance and climate change.
The webinar, “Around the World: Insurance, Climate Change, Disclosures and Risk” covered:
• The Task Force on Financial Disclosures (TCFD) and what it means for you.
• The National Association of Insurance Commissioners and climate.
• Investor groups and fossil fuels.
• Catastrophe and risk modeling.
• State regulators and emerging regulations.
• Insurers and reinsurers and what they are doing.
Jay Bruns, Senior Climate Policy Advisor with OIC, was one of the webinars’ four panelists. Bruns was previously a senior advisor for private sector engagement at the United Nations Environment Program. Before that, he was vice president at The Hartford, where he led the company’s environmental stewardship efforts. Earlier, he was a career American diplomat, rising to the Senior Foreign Service. He represented the US in Norway, Germany, Japan, Trinidad and Tobago and Canada, and held positions in the State Department, Office of U.S. Trade Representative and the National Security Council at the White House.
The other panelists included:
• Don Jergler, West Editor at Insurance Journal.
• Tom Larsen, Principal at CoreLogic.
• Mark Way, Head of Sustainability Underwriting at Zurich North America.