9 Reasons Your Brand Needs Comms Planning
In the multi-device, second-screen, attention-scarce world we live in, landing a brand impression is becoming ever more difficult. Creative Comms Planning is an emerging strategic discipline designed to create effectiveness in this continuously evolving world.
Comms Planners apply the hard facts and known mechanics of how advertising works to new channels and new contexts. The role includes writing comms tasks, designing campaign blueprints, drawing-out campaign ecosystems, and briefing channel specific tactical work.
The below research excerpts show that devising a multi-channel strategy and briefing channel specific executions are vital to creating effective campaigns.
1 . Multi-channel campaigns are more effective and more efficient
“Multi-channel campaigns are in general more effective than single-channel campaigns. This is not simply the result of bigger budgets. Repeating the share of voice analysis from Part 3 shows that multi-channel campaigns actually make the same budget work harder (efficiency).
Binet, L., & Field, P. (2007). Marketing in the era of accountability: Identifying the marketing practices and metrics that truly increase profitability. pp. 67–68.
2. Multi-channel campaigns are more awarded for effectiveness
“The best campaigns tend to use more channels” — WARC
3. Multi-channel campaigns deliver greater ROI
4. Multi-channel campaigns build better brand+brain associations
5. Multi-channel integrated campaigns deliver greater equity
6. Multi-channel campaigns with platform customized content increase ROI
7. Non platform specific content isn’t emotionally engaging.
8. 62% of campaigns are not integrated across channels or creating channel specific executions
9. Platforms are constantly emerging and changing
Comms Planning’s role is to follow changes in media and understand new platforms, in order to integrate them into campaigns and help create channel specific executions.
Without it your work stands to be less effective and money is wasted.