This week President Trump delivered a partisan State of the Union address that was high on misinformation and low on facts. What’s clear is that the President’s agenda has failed the middle class by eroding health care protections, jeopardizing the economic security of middle-class families, and sowing fear and falsehoods about border security. The President has an opportunity to work with Democrats on lowering prescription drug prices and rebuilding America’s infrastructure, preventing another government shutdown, and securing our southern border. House Democrats stand ready to work with the President to find common ground on these and other issues.
This Week’s Votes
This week, House Democrats passed:
- H. R. 840 — Provides veterans cost-free child care when they receive VA health care services.
- Expands and makes permanent a popular pilot program, initially enacted when Democrats last controlled the House in 2010, that has already provided care for more than 10,000 children of veterans during VA medical appointments.
- Assists the more than 6 million veteran households with children; 10% of all veterans reported having to cancel or reschedule appointments because of a lack of child care.
- Gives parents options to fit their unique circumstances: child care at on-site VA facilities, stipends for licensed child care centers, direct payments to private child care agencies, and collaboration with child care services at other federal departments and agencies.
- H.R. 866 — Requires federal buildings to provide a clean, private area, other than the public restroom, for breastfeeding mothers.
- Extends current federal law requiring that federal employees have access to lactation spaces to include all members of the public visiting the building.