week one of classes
we may drink mimosas before class but we actually do go to school here…
as week one of classes are wrapping up, i feel obligated (mostly for my family who fears study abroad is really go-abroad-and-do-whatever-the-hell-you-want-because-you’re-only-in-school-four-days-a-week-for-three-hours-a-day) to share a bit of what I’ve learned in class:
- switzerland is a direct democracy with some president gal, Doris Leuthard, who breaks ties on their referendum votes. (PSA: she might be related to martha.)
- TVA=tax value added. like it is here in Europe. (does not stand for tennessee valley authority #throwoutyourAPUSH)
- what allocative efficiency is, COGS and other fun acronyms, Porter’s model of competitive advantage, and the actual five-part definition of economic self-interest
- more about the toothpaste market in latin america than i ever thought i would ever know ever… but seriously, i’ve spent the majority of my time this past week poring over country case studies and market data with kyle, phil, and josh discussing our simulation strategy.
- communism actually really for real doesn’t work (RIP. RIP. RIP. RIP. long live my collectivist utopian dreams. but for real if you consider utilitarianism you realize that three problems — defining honest preferences, finding out what people are best at, and the information Np-hard problem that is matching them up — lead to the establishment of a free market no matter what. we did a three day long thought experiment on a desert island with sarah as philosopher queen. it checks out and my heart is forever broken.)
yeah wait economics/business is actually kind of interesting… not really sure how but maybe your girl is destined for wharton??? as if. but for real — like for the first time in a long time i’m actually really interested in what i’m learning.
But as this really is go-abroad-and-do-whatever-the-hell-you-want-because-you’re-only-in-school-four-days-a-week-for-three-hours-a-day :3, I can share plenty about what I’ve been doing outside of class: mainly exploring Geneva.
*photojournal time since I need to read so much of why globalization works tonight in order to have a w-free weekend — here goes!*
yep so it’s been wondrous! And tomorrow starts first weekend adventure as i travel to zurich with lizzy, kyle, and ryan and then run off to liechtenstein to live my real life fantasy before i swing down to zermatt with everyone else and then roll into/through bern, lucerne, and basel. the only other things i have to share are my discovery of snowball berries (you can apparently find at whole foods back at home), the fact that martha and alex’s toaster exploded, and that i just ate like seven linzer cookies which is a big deal because we legit are starving in switzerland because everything here is so damn expensive.