Responding to Coronavirus
Resources for State and Local Government Practitioners
State and local governments have been at the fore of the coronavirus response in the U.S. As the epidemic spreads to all corners of the country, state and local leaders are being forced to quickly respond to a number of challenges, from food security to providing childcare for first responders, and ensuring the safety of our election.
To aide public sector practitioners in responding to this crisis, the Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation, a research center housed at Harvard Kennedy School with a strong focus on government leadership, management, and innovation; has launched this new COVID-19 Public Sector Resources site. The site contains response examples, toolkits, teaching resources, and commentary on the ongoing COVID-19 epidemic.
This resources site will harness the work being done to prepare and educate public officials on the impacts of coronavirus from across the Ash Center, Harvard Kennedy School, and the University as a whole. The site will be continuously updated with content, including:
- New materials being developed by the Bloomberg Harvard City Leadership Initiative for mayors working to respond to the outbreak in their communities
- Reports from the Ash Center’s Program on Crisis Leadership aimed at government leaders and emergency management professionals
- Advice and analysis on protecting and strengthening our elections and overall civic life during this crisis
- Mapping and data tools from our Data-Smart City Solutions project for government data officers
- Other related commentary and analysis for government practitioners.
If you have resources, innovative approaches to government leadership during the epidemic, or other tools you would like to share with our audience, please don’t hesitate to let us know here. To receive email updates from us, subscribe on the Ash Center website.
Please note: The Ash Center is not expressly endorsing the policies and programs referenced, nor have they been evaluated by Ash Center experts. Examples of government response are curated to help state and local government practitioners quickly survey some of the work that others have tried.
About the Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation
The Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation advances excellence in governance and strengthens democratic institutions worldwide. Through its research, education, international programs, and government innovations awards, the Center fosters creative and effective government problem solving and serves as a catalyst for addressing many of the most pressing needs of the world’s citizens. For more information, visit www.ash.harvard.edu.