Datacast’s 18th episode is my conversation with Ankit Gupta, a data scientist at Crisis Text Line. Give a listen to learn about his background in Solutions Architect, his graduate work at Carnegie Mellon, and his Natural Language Processing projects at the non-profit tech startup Crisis Text Line.
Ankit Gupta is a data scientist at Crisis Text Line, a New York-based not-for-profit tech startup providing 24/7 free text-based crisis support to individuals. At Crisis Text Line, Ankit developed an AI-driven triage system that detects signals of suicidality within the first few messages sent by texters. Using the triage system, the counselors can serve 93% of at-risk texters in under five minutes.
- (2:04) Ankit discussed his college experience at the Amity School of Engineering and Tech in which he studied Computer Science and Engineering.
- (3:34) Ankit talked about his first role out of school as a Senior Solution Integrator role at Ericsson.
- (5:20) Ankit talked about a unique aspect of his role at Ericsson, which was global collaboration and communication with clients all over the world, including the US, UK, and Nigeria.
- (7:50) Ankit went over his 2 years at Core Services working as an Oracle Applications Technical Consultant.
- (9:25) Ankit gave his story about pursuing a Master’s Degree in Information Systems Management at Carnegie Mellon.
- (10:56) Ankit talked about his Teaching Assistant experience for a couple of Python courses at CMU.
- (12:13) Ankit talked about this capstone work for his Master’s degree.
- (13:27) Ankit gave a brief overview about Crisis Text Line.
- (14:48) Ankit provided the context for his article on LinkedIn called “Triage for Crisis Counseling: How our algorithm prioritizes suicidal texts” that he wrote during his summer internship at Crisis Text Line.
- (16:40) Ankit discussed a couple of interesting projects he has been involved with since accepting a full-time Data Scientist role at Crisis Text Line in January 2017.
- (21:19) Ankit talked about his post “Embracing AI to save lives” on Crisis Text Line’s blog, which uses machine learning to identify previously missed imminent risk conversations and reduce false alarms.
- (28:01) Referring to another piece called “Detecting crisis — An AI solution”, Ankit discussed the impacts of AI at Crisis Text Line.
- (30:34) Ankit talked about the vision of Crisis Text Line’s CEO, Nancy Lublin.
- (33:21) Ankit gave his advice on becoming good at data science.
- (37:37) Ankit went over his participation in Toastmasters New York, an organization that operates worldwide for the purpose of promoting communication and public speaking skills.
- (40:10) Ankit talked about the data science community in New York City.
- (42:47 ) Closing segment.
His Contact Info
His Recommended Resources
- Practical Deep Learning For Coders
- Elon Musk’s Tesla and SpaceX
- Ray Dalio’s Principles
- Cole Nussbaumer Knaflic’s Storytelling with Data
If you enjoyed this piece, I’d love it if you hit the clap button 👏 so others might stumble upon it. You can find my own code on GitHub and more of my writing and projects at https://jameskle.com/. You can also follow me on Twitter, email me directly or find me on LinkedIn.