Datacast Episode 3: How to Be a Social Media Data Whiz with Leni Krsova
I’m creating a new podcast about Data Science called Datacast! The 3rd episode is my conversation with Leni Krsova, a social media data analyst from the Czech Republic based in Prague. Listen to learn about her past career in PR/marketing/brand management, why she got interested in social media data analysis, the data science community in Prague, as well as her recommendations for social media users regarding data privacy.
Leni Krsová is social media data analyst from the Czech Republic, currently based in Prague. At the beginning of her career, she worked for Czech TV, a public broadcaster in the country, as a social media editor but switched quickly from marketing to the path of a data analyst. Since then she is interested more and more in data analysis of social media and online news media data with R, data privacy and academic research in these fields. She is planning to start her Ph.D. studies in near future.
- (3:08) Leni explains how studying Theatre Critics in college help her develop analytical thinking.
- (4:00) Leni briefly her first job out of college in brand management at a lifestyle brand called Life is Porno.
- (5:54) Leni goes over the most interesting classes she took during her Master of Arts in New Media Studies at Charles University.
- (7:52) Leni talks about her 1-year residency in the social media team of the New Media department at Czech TV.
- (12:02) Leni reflects on the career lesson she got out from her time at Czech TV.
- (13:47) Leni discusses her first professional role working with data at Socialbakers, a social media marketing company in Prague.
- (16:35) Leni talks about choosing R as her main programming language to learn data science.
- (19:43) Leni explains the study of social network analysis.
- (21:50) Leni discusses the technical aspects of her Master’s thesis about Czech journalists on Twitter.
- (25:00) Leni goes over her brief stint as a marketing specialist at Zeleznakoule, a gym in Prague and a community of health enthusiasts.
- (26:57) Leni talks about her next career move to Seznam, the most visited web portal and search engine in the Czech Republic.
- (29:11) Leni also volunteers as a mentor for Czechitas, a non-profit organization focused on educating girls about programming, data analysis, and graphics.
- (30:17) Leni describes the data science community in Prague.
- (32:51) Leni talks about her passion for the tech scene in Stockholm.
- (35:22) Leni talks about her popular Facebook page Dataholka.
- (36:45) Leni shares some tips for aspiring data scientists who want to improve their social media presence.
- (39:00) Leni gives recommendations for social media users regarding concerns about data privacy.
- (41:30) Leni shares her thoughts on the current state of digital journalism.
- (43:48) Leni discusses her current plan to pursue a Ph.D. degree in the US.
- (47:52) Closing segment.
Her Contact Info
If you enjoyed this piece, I’d love it if you hit the clap button 👏 so others might stumble upon it. You can find my own code on GitHub, and more of my writing and projects at https://jameskle.com/. You can also follow me on Twitter, email me directly or find me on LinkedIn.