Crust Community Open AMA — 2021 Review and 2022 Roadmap
On February 10th, 2pm UTC. The Crust Telegram Group held an open AMA with the theme ‘2021 review, 2022 roadmap’. The AMA was moderated by Crust Community volunteer Youan, with guests Philip Lange, Director of Growth; Ludwing Trappe & Quinn Le, Global Community Leads; Aki, Marketing team and KK, Crust Core Tech team.
In the AMA, Crust team members explained 2021 review, 2022 overview & Roadmap and Crust Files Display respectively. In the final Open Question session, 30 questions were selected and rewarded.
Here are the highlights of this AMA:
Hello everyone, I’m Youan, welcome to the Crust Telegram group, today we will hold an open AMA.
Crust Network is a decentralized storage application based on the IPFS network. Crust was established in 2018, incentivized the testnet in December 2019, launched the Maxwell testnet in February 2020, and officially launched the mainnet in September 2020.
So far, Crust has a total storage capacity of 2,193,883.506 TB all over the world, and applications based on the underlying Crust storage, such as Decoo, Switchswap, and Crust Files, have also been officially enabled.
Firstly, Aki from the Crust Marketing team will explain the Crust 2021 review for us!
Hi all! Nice to see you here!
Looking back on the past year of 2021, Crust has made a lot of progress in the market and technology.
Next I will pick some highlights to review the progress of these two parts.
The first is the marketing side:
- Crust Network partners with Litentry and Moonbeam. Crust provides storage for their personally identifiable data and cross-chain solutions.
- On February 4, Crust launched the preview network Maxwell with the same functions as the main network. Maxwell integrates all the core functions of Crust, including token staking, decentralized storage market DSM, and file retrieval mechanism, and strives to be the same as the Crust mainnet function. Maxwell is a real economic system where participants can map CRU-ERC20 1:1.Now Maxwell is still running smoothly.
- Crust has entered the Polkadot testnet Rococo V1 as a parallel link and is currently running stable.
- Crust cooperates with many projects and provides storage services for them, such as Darwinia Network, Ares Protocol, Saito, Apron, GamyFi, Map, TrustBase and BCA. These collaborations further increase the influence and application value of Crust.
- Crust joined the Polkadot DAO Alliance. The alliance aims to promote the decentralized governance of the Polkadot ecosystem, with the ultimate goal of “realizing Web 3.0 to achieve true decentralization”.
- Uniswap and PolkaApps were deployed on the Crust network.
Please refer to：
- Crust has launched “Crust Grants” to encourage developers. Crust Grants provide each grantee with a maximum value of $30,000 to support developers in developing in the sub-segments of the technology stack and obtain technical and ecological support in addition to funding.
- Crust participated in Polkadot Decoded and gave a technical presentation on the theme of “Decentralized Storage for Web3” on May 20.
- Crust Grants are added to the list of Web3.0 Grants, which are recommended for the majority of Web3.0 ecological developers.
- Crust Network became a member of Apache’s Teaclave privacy computing community.
- Crust cooperates with multiple ecological projects to provide various storage services such as Automata Network, DeCredit, ColdStack, Patract Labs and Coinversation Protocol.
- On May 15th, Crust Shadow, a paranet of Crust Network, successfully completed the Kusuma parachain registration with ID 2012. Crust’s total reward for participating in the Kusama slot auction has been upgraded to 90,000 CRUs, and 18 million CSMs (Crust Shadow native token).
- Crust provides a decentralized PIN service for IPFS, which is now included in IPFS Docs.
- On June 15th, Crust participated in the Kusama slot auction. On June 16th, Crust distributed the first batch of Kusama slot auction rewards, and distributed a total of 322.73091 CRUs and 64546.18236 CSMs to the 4610.44159 KSMs that supported Crust Shadow.
- Crust cooperates with CryptoTycoon and Jambo Network to provide various storage services.
- Crust is included in the ecosystem of the IPFS official website (https://ecosystem.ipfs.io/) and listed in the <Content delivery> column.
- Crust released the v1.3.0 version of the economic white paper and announced the mainnet launch checklist and mainnet launch plan.
- Crust partners with Bluna, Functionland, X Protocol and Pinknode.
- Microsoft Azure helps Decoo build a distributed storage platform based on Crust. With the technical and market support of Azure, Decoo expects that its storage resources on Azure are expected to exceed 10PB after the distributed storage cloud service based on the Crust goes online.
- At 6:00 PM (UTC+8) on September 1st, the Crust Mainnet was launched on the 217th Era, and the block reward was opened at the same time. Previously, Crust has completed the Ark project, the Maxwell preview network test, passed the third-party code audit, and officially delivered to the DCF Foundation (Decentralized Cloud Foundation).
- Polygon, Heco and Near announced the integration of Crust, which will provide their users and developers with a decentralized storage experience. Users can use their wallet to login and use Crust for storage directly!
- SwitchSwap, an NFT Defi platform based on Crust storage, was launched.
- Crust partners with UniArts to provide storage services.
- Moonriver, Elrond, and Polygon announced the integration of Crust, which will provide their users and developers with a decentralized storage experience with more than 6,000 nodes and 2,000 PB of storage capacity.
- Crust announced the Polkadot slot auction plan and is expected to participate in the second batch of slot auctions. Crust parachain ID: 2008, providing a total of 1,000,000 $CRU rewards; each DOT will receive 0.2CRU rewards.
- Crust teamed up with Polygon to hold an NFT minting event and win $3,000 in rewards! Participants can obtain NFT badges through Switchswap, an NFT platform based on Polygon & Crust.
- Crust launched a low-threshold Web3 storage tool — Files. Log in with Crust, PolkadotJS, MetaMask, Near, Flow, Solana or Elrond wallets for free data storage.
- Crust participated in the second batch of the Polkadot slot auction, with a total of 9 channels open: Pallel\Equilibrium\Gate.io\MEXC\Bigone\AscendEX\Bifrost\Huobi\Polkadotapps.
- The v0.2.0 release of AAVE was announced to be supported by CrustNetwork.
- Crust partners with OKEXChain and Metaprints.
- Crust wins the 19th Kusama slot, and the Crust Shadow network joins the Kusama network in two weeks.
- TokenPocket and Math Wallet now support the Crust mainnet token.
Next comes the technical part：
During the year Crust worked with several projects and made several advances in technical achievements.
After the launch of the Crust mainnet in September 2021, the storage data has continued to grow. According to the current storage data on Crust, 2.49PB of file storage has been stored on the Crust mainnet.
- The block height reached #2,600,000, and it has been running stably for nearly 4 months
- The total network capacity reaches 2100PB, and the total number of nodes reaches 8000
- The number of valid files reaches 1.974PB, and the total number of files reaches 15w
- The total staking token amount of the whole network reaches 3.627M, and the stating ratio is 17%
- The number of transactions reached 2000w, and the number of currency holding addresses reached 3w
Looking back at the past year of 2021, Crust has reached cooperation with a number of projects, including major well-known public chain platforms.
In the field of NFT storage, we have reached cooperation with RMRK, NFTScan, KAKA, Realy, Uniarts, etc. NFTScan is an NFT browser based on Ethereum and BSC, which uses Crust to cache all NFT data on Ethereum and BSC and provide interfaces for various applications.
It is worth mentioning that the two products based on the Crust Network. One is SwitchSwap, which is based on the completely decentralized NFT Mint Platform of Polygon and Crust, and is compatible with OpenSea. After uploading and minting their own NFTs, users can directly jump to Opensea and list their own NFTs. In December 2021, we launched a community-oriented activity to mint NFTs on SwichSwap, and the response was also good.
The other is IPFSScan, users can directly enter the CID on the web page to search for files, storage nodes, number of backup files, etc. It is very convenient for all projects and users based on IPFS network storage. In the field of Dapp Hosting: Uniswap Migrated to the mainnet for the first time, AAVE has used Crust for daily deployment, IPFS Docs and Polkadot Apps are also immediately transferred from the preview network to the mainnet by Crust for storage.
The public chains that Crust has cooperated with are: Elrond/Near/Binance/Polygon/Flow/Solana/Moonriver/Heco/Polkadot. For developers and users of these public chain projects, they only need to log in to their wallets, and use Crust for storage. At the same time, it is actively co-hosting hackathons with major public chain platforms, including Polygon’s BuildIt, Near’s MetaBuild, Heco BUILDer and other hackathons, attracting more than 20w developers and more than 4,000 high-quality projects in total.
Recently Crust has also cooperated with GameFi and SocialFi projects to provide storage as the infrastructure of the Web3 ecosystem: such as Matters, a decentralized Medium; Kaka, card GamingFi, decentralized Hearthstone; Socbay, the first time to transfer to the main Net; Yup, a decentralized public comment, uses Crust to store user comment data.
It is believed that the Web3 ecosystem will continue to develop in 2022. In the existing NFT, GameFi, and SocialFi ecosystems, Crust has provided storage services for many projects. In the future, we believe that more new high-quality projects will emerge. The demand for storage services will also usher in a boom.
Thank you Aki! 2021 is a very important year for Crust! If you have any questions about our 2021 past, you can ask questions in the open question session.
Next, Crust Director of growth, Philip Lange will introduce the 2022 overview and roadmap to us!
Hi all! I am very happy to be part of today’s AMA. Thank you Youan for setting this up!
When talking about our path forward for 2022, we can really think of it in two key areas:
1) a more business-focused marketing roadmap, and…
2) the technical roadmap for our MainNet and other products that are being developed
In terms of our marketing roadmap… The key theme we see for 2022 is “growth through expansion”. In 2021 we proved technical readiness of the network, launched Crust MainNet, onboarded thousands of mining nodes, have made Crust Network as flexible as possible, and worked closely to integrate Crust Network with key ecosystems and projects (made available on EVM compatible chains, integration with countless more chains and wallets, DApp hosting for Uniswap and AAVE).
In 2022, our goal is to expand and grow in three key areas: developer expansion, marketing & community expansion, and partnership expansion.
- Grow developer community and promote more developer-owner applications running on Crust Network
- Develop more Crust branded end-user products to highlight the strength and versatility of the network (e.g. Crust Files, NFT Toolkit)
Marketing & community-related:
- Restructuring and expansion of the Crust marketing organization, to enable the strengthen our position in the following three points:
- Community building: more community interaction by strengthening our Discord, being more active on TG, involving you more in what is going on and the launch of the ambassador program
- Social media engagement: we hear you, but we could do a better job of being there for you. This will change!
- Governance: we want the community to be more involved in key governance decisions. Together with building a stronger community, we want you to be more involved in the future of Crust! Which is why, we will soon launch the Crust Governance model on MainNet.
- Expand project integration: Crust end-user applications will also be provided as technical solutions to partner projects, enabling more files to be stored on our network and enabling more collaborative use-cases.
- Expand technical partnerships: Crust Network as storage and IPFS pinning infrastructure for partner projects
- Miner growth: continue our commitment to decentralization through onboarding more miners
In terms of products, our planned focus is on two key areas: developing the network and developing end-user applications that utilize the full power of the Crust Network and can provide value-added and usable solutions to our users.
Below I will provide you with a detailed roadmap for the various products we are working on right now!
2022 Q1 — Misc Improvements & Enhancements
- Crust Wallet update (UI overhaul)
- MainNet Governance Module launch
2022 Q2 — Cross-Chain DStorage Interfaces
- Implement Crust-Based Web3.0 IPFS Gateway and Pinning Service
- Upgrade Polkadot ParaChain Related Modules to Support Unique STF
2022 Q4 — MPoW Storage Proof V2
- Implement Decentralized TEE Attestation Mechanism
- Development Version of Zero-Knowledge Proof under MPoW Interfaces
2022 Q1 — Launch parachain, Token mapping & bridge, Authorized collators
2022 Q2 — XCMP update, Release Economic model, Node access & Mining, Xstorage deploy
2022 Q3 — On-chain governance, Substrate framework update
2022 Q4 — Scalability optimize, Next round auction for parachain
2022 Q1 — Support paid share & Mobile version of Crust Files Lite
2022 Q2 — NFT integration with NFT Toolkit
2022 Q3 — Continuous usability improvement (indexing, preview, etc)
2022 Q4 — Decentralized file structure management (folder management)
This one we are extremely excited about, but… this is yet to be announced and we can’t share these details with you yet! But you’ll be the FIRST to hear about it once we have more details to share!
We have a bunch more exciting initiatives in the works which we can’t tell you more about at this time — but we’re extremely excited to announce these to you as soon as we can!
Hope you all continue to accompany us in the new year! Witness the growth and progress of Crust!
Next, Crust Global Community Lead Quinn will demonstrate Crust Files and explain the rules of share-and-earn activities.
Hi everyone, it’s my honor to be here today
Crust Files is one of the most important products that we have launched recently. With Crust Files, you can store your files from images to text to videos and so on. Using Crust Files is super easy and quite similar to the way you use Google drive.
First, you need to create a Crust wallet. This wallet supports Crust Mainnet and the token stored in Crust wallet can be staked to earn more reward. Crust wallet is an extension like Metamask. To get a Crust wallet, simply google Crust wallet and download it.
After downloading, you can pin it to our browser bar to use later. Then, you can create a new Crust wallet. If you already have one and would like to import your wallet, you can choose ‘import from phrase’. Otherwise, choose ‘Create account’.
Next, you go to Crustfiles.io and connect to the wallet you have just created. Choose a cool nickname for yourself. This nickname will be used as a referral code if you want to invite your friends to try Crustfiles so you and your friends will get 1 CRU each for reward.
Then you will be forwarded to Crustfiles.io. You can start storing your files for FREE with Crust network by going to my files => public. Note that because this is the free version, the maximum upload size is only 40 MB. If you want to upload bigger files, you need to upgrade your membership to Premium. A detailed comparison of Premium user and Trial user is as following:
Besides the benefits that are listed above, premium users can enjoy a special feature: the “Vault” is where you store our private files that you do not want to share to public. This vault belongs to you and it can be accessed only if you have the key. To use this feature, you will need to go to settings to set up your own password and then you can start uploading your private data without any worry.
We are running a big incentive program for our early premium users, with the reward pool of 2,000,000 CRU. In this program, premium users can earn rewards in 3 different ways:
After you become a premium member, you have the right to invite others to try Crust Files. After others register as Crust Files Premium membership through your invitation code/invitation link, you will get 1 CRU/recommendation reward.
There will be a 30-minute countdown on the event page, and the last premium user at the end of each countdown can get all the rewards in the prize pool. Every time a new premium user is added, the prize pool will increase by 0.4 CRU, and the countdown will be refreshed to 30 minutes.
After becoming a senior member, you can receive a lottery ticket. Whenever the total number of premium members reaches a certain milestone, an open and transparent face lottery will be held. The bigger the milestone, the higher the prize pool! So, don’t forget to return to the Share — and — Earn page frequently after the lottery and to check if you are the lucky guy! Note that we require our users to register again for each time we draw so please stay around!
We now know that premium users have a lot of benefits and rewards. But how can we get the premium membership? Allow me to guide you through this process.
First, you will need some CRU to pay for membership and also gas fee on Crust network. If you already have CRU in your wallet, then you can proceed to the next step. If not, then you will need to go to ‘Get CRU’
You can buy CRU from the ETH or BSC network. Enter the number of CRU you want to buy, then enter your Crust wallet address into ‘Crust mainnet address’ so that the CRU you buy will be transferred directly to your wallet. The current price of the premium membership is 2 CRU, but you will need around 0.2 CRU additionally for the fee.
After you get CRU to your wallet, go back to Crustfiles.io => premium user to get the premium membership. Enter ‘premium’ or your friends’ code to get 1 CRU discount and then deposit 2 CRU. Refresh the page if you do not see your status changes to premium user, then claim the premium badge to officially join our premium community!
That’s it. You are now a premium user and can enjoy all the benefits of our incentive program. Share this information to your friends so you both can earn some rewards and do not forget to come back regularly for the Grand Draw!
Selected Q&A from the Open Question section:
- nonomo: How will you assure users that their data stored in crust files are safe and will not be leaked to third parties??
Aki：Crust provides privacy and flexible storage. We use TEE hardware for file storage to ensure privacy, which means physical. Many well-known traditional projects are also suitable for TEE. At the same time, end-to-end data privacy encryption can also be selected in Crust Files. Since Crust is the incentive layer of the IPFS network, the storage price is very cheap. The entire Crust network has more than 8,000 nodes, so the data storage has multiple backups, and data will not be lost. The speed of data transfer is also very fast.
2. Jeslyn Adora: Do the $CRU holders have the right to participate in the governance of the project? On what kind of decisions can they vote on about the Crust?
Philip: Great question! We are working on launching the governance module for our MainNet. We expect to launch it in Q1 of this year, after which users can put ideas for vote. To see how the governance module will look like, you can go to our Maxwell testnet. In Maxwell, we already have a governance module running that has passed all requirements for launch on mainnet.
3. Maria: Can you list 1–3 killer features of this project that makes it ahead of its competitors? What is the competitive advantage your project has that you feel most confident about?
KK: 1. Bloody cheap and customized storage duration, $0.0006 can store 1GB data for 40 years, can you can easily customize your file storage duration, that’s the best storage solution for Metaverse!
2. Fast confirmation by blockchain, around 5 minutes when you make a storage order transaction, you’ll get more than 20 nodes stored in your file, and this information is all on CHAIN!
3. High throughput and huge replicas, every single file will be guaranteed stored by more than 100 storage nodes, also our blockchain can handle more than 1000 storage order request per second
4. BD CRYPTO: Security and anonymity are always prioritized by BlockChain projects in the development of project platforms and technologies. So, do you have any technological solutions or plans to enhance user trust in these issues?
Lude: Privacy is way higher in web3 because you can login via Metamask etc. and dont need to provide an email, password or payment information cause you can pay right out of your wallet. Also security is way higher because AWS, Google etc. encrypt your data but they still hold a copy of your keys which means they always could access your data if they wanted to. If you use encryption on Crust then you are the only holder of your keys to decrypt your data. If you don’t use encryption then everybody with the link can access the data. Also data can’t be lost on Crust because our network creates more than 100 replicas on different nodes to create a large redundancy.
5. Moon: Crust Network Web 3.0 storage for metaverse. As vital as universal acceptance of this unique innovation is. Is there a way for you to bring consumers and, most crucially, the concept of work to the Crust Network? What strategies do you have in mind to gain credibility?
Philip: Our focus, and philosophy, is to create solutions, products and applications that provide real world value to our users. Depending on which product you look at (Crust Mainnet, Crust Shadow, Crust Files and our soon to be released NFT toolkit), you will see that we offer a very different value proposition to our users.
In 2021 we focused on building the network and ensuring stability, and now in 2022 our target is to drive as many users to the network as possible. We will do this through three key areas:
- more developers
- improved marketing & more community interaction
- more strategic partnerships
There are infinite use-cases for Crust Network, and what you see now only scratches the surface. Much exciting news to come in the following months!
6. Venky San: In order for people to understand what the platform has to offer, spreading awareness plays an important role! So what did CrustNetwork do?
Quinn: The incentive program for premium users that we are running now is the way we bring Crustfiles to more users. Right now the users of Crustfiles just passed 50,000 users and the number of premium users is almost 40,000. These numbers show that CrustFiles has received a lot of attention. In future, we will launch many more products and we would like to invite you to try it out!
7. sayuaki: Are you afraid some day there will be another project with more innovative technology that can replace your project ?
Philip: Competition is a good thing. It keeps us on our feet and makes sure we stay ahead of the curve in terms of finding new and innovative ways to drive value to our users, may it be through a working decentralized storage network, providing encrypted storage solutions to our users or through our new NFT toolkit.
There will always be new competitors that will do something better than somebody else. For Crust, the difference is that instead of focusing on hype, we focus on building a secure network and products that can showcase the strengths of our networks to end users, partners and our partners’ users.
Through getting users on board, enabling governance and community feedback, and working with strong partners (to be announced!) to provide key technology and infrastructure solutions to their users, we uniquely position ourselves to be a tough competitor in the market. And with our Crust Grants program (link here: https://wiki.crust.network/docs/en/crustGrants) we have the ability to attract amazing talent to build unique and innovative applications. Just like our soon to be released NFT toolkit!