CRV — Building Companies that Matter and Giving #PowerToThePerson
By Team CRV
Telling your story is something early-stage founders have to do constantly. In a matter of minutes, or seconds, you have to be able to explain to customers, employees, investors and other audiences who you are, what you do and why you do what you do better than anyone else on the planet.
How on Earth can you distill years of hard work, passion and describe the energy of your whole team down to a pithy elevator pitch?
It’s a daunting, but necessary process and it’s an exercise that we wanted to go through too as a firm.
We knew trying to condense 50 years of history into a short video would be tough. Heck, trying to stuff everything CRV has accomplished this past year into a simple, digestible phrase is hard to do. In a matter of months we’ve celebrated some of the biggest wins in our firm’s history (We love you DoorDash!), a number of our companies ascended to phenomenal valuations (Go Airtable, Patreon, Iterable, Gupshup, Kong, Cybereason, Standard, Vercel and Aviatrix!) and we added a bunch of fresh faces and talented people to our team.
In a nutshell, how could we explain that:
- Our companies, the ones we invest in and back, empower individuals — not institutions — giving people more control over their day-to-day lives and the freedom to determine how they work.
- We’ve invested in more than 400 early-stage enterprise and consumer startups at their most crucial stages.
- CRV’s founders come from different backgrounds and so do our investors. (Our investment team is made up of people who hail from places like England, India, Iran, Israel, Pakistan and Turkey.)
- We have a close knit group of 14 active investors and nearly 50 percent of our investors are women.
We figured looking you in the eyes and showing, rather than just telling, might be the best way to go.
In a world where seeing each other in person has become less common, we felt it was important for us to gather around the table (or rather the cameras on our mobile phones) and explain who CRV is and what we’re about, so you can get to know us a little bit better.
Our goals were to keep things short and sweet, to show you the real CRV and to demonstrate that our whole squad is on the same page when it comes to backing companies that matter and giving #PowerToThePerson.
We’re not the brashest firm out there (we think that’s probably a good thing), so we invited some of our most congenial and mediagenic founder friends along to help us with this project. They all have crafted unique companies, have diverse perspectives and we couldn’t be prouder to have:
- Airtable’s Co-Founder Andrew Ofstad
- Cribl’s Co-Founder and CEO Clint Sharp
- Iterable’s Co-Founder and CEO Andrew Boni
- Kong’s Co-Founder and CEO Augusto Marietti
- Patreon’s Co-Founder and CEO Jack Conte
- Squire’s Co-Founder and CEO Songe LaRon
- Wheel’s Founder and CEO Michelle Davey
…participate in this project with us. (Plus they all are definitely way better on camera than we are and their passion is contagious.)
We hope our new brand video helps you get to know us, explains what CRV does and who we work for… you, the founders in the world who are driven to solve problems for individual people.