Call for submissions — when is it time to take a creative break?
My routine is constant: up at 5:30 and I’m writing most of the day. It’s been like this for close to a decade, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t need to take breaks.
When I say break, I mean taking short stretches of time where I don’t write at all. For someone like me, this is extremely difficult. It’s also necessary because there are times when I just feel like I’m losing myself in the routine and not actually living in the passion.
For this week’s call for submissions, I’d like you to write about how you manage your creative expectations. You’re dealing with a lot and 2020 has thrown even more at us. When do you take time away from everything and how does that look in your world? Is taking a break even possible?
This is meant to be about taking creative breaks, but we’ll accept submissions about taking a break from anything you do constantly. Maybe you’re supporting an elderly parent or you’ve been running an online course that’s been taking up a lot of your time. Whatever that thing is you need a break from, we’re open to hearing about it.
Same rules as always:
- If you’re already a writer for CRY, go ahead and submit.
- If you’re not a writer for CRY but would like to submit to this request, let us know and we’ll add you ASAP.
- Be as creative as you want in your submissions. As long as you stick to the topic, we’ll consider it.
- Just because you submit doesn’t mean we’ll post. If you haven’t heard back from us in three days, consider that a pass.
- Deadline to submit is this Monday, November 16.
Please reach out if you have any questions at all. If you are new to Medium, here’s how you submit a draft to a publication.