FAQ: I am not receiving my Cyber Discovery verification email
The Cyber Discovery programme requires all players to use an email address for verification, however some institutions have policies that can hinder the delivery of some emails from outside organisations. These policies are best practice for an organisation such as a school or government department, however they can cause external senders emails to bounce.
To help understand why some verification emails have bounced and how to prevent this from happening in the future, we have the answers to some of your frequently asked questions:
- What is a bounce?
A bounce happens when an email cannot be delivered to the recipient, this can be displayed as a hard or soft bounce. An example of a hard bounce is when an email addresss does not exist. It is telling the sender to stop attempting to send emails to that address. A soft bounce would occur, for example, when the receivers inbox has reached capacity. It informs the sender that there is a transient issue and to try again later.
2. How do I know if my email bounced?
If you have not recieved your email within 12 hours of requesting it then it is likely that your email has bounced.
3. What can I do to prevent a bounce?
- Ensure that you are using a valid email address and that it is spelt correctly. This is the most common reason people do not receive a verification email.
- Ensure that the email address is receiving emails from other external services that exist outside of your school or organisation.
- Ensure that your mailbox isnt full or has any other restrictions on it.
- Talk to your IT department about any sender/reciever policies that they may have set up that could potentially hinder the delivery of your messages.
- If the functionality is available check your quarantine or junk mail folder in case the email has been inadvertently placed there.
4. What does my IT department need to do to allow blocked emails through?
The best thing to do if your emails are blocked is to ask your IT department to allow emails from the domain @joincyberdiscovery.com. They could also check their central quarantine to see if multiple users emails have been restricted.
If none of the above works, please do get in touch by emailing us at email@example.com. By letting us know your email address and date of sign up, we will do our best to resolve the issue and get you playing as soon as possible!