8 LIMBS OF YOGA
A compilation of essays around the ancient yogic philosophy contained within the Yoga Sutras
The 8 Limbs of Yoga is an ancient philosophy derived from the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. I am currently writing a book, Yoga Prayers, to …
- Deepen my own understanding of the 8 Limbs, and to
- Provide a historical and philosophical text for my (mostly beginner) yoga students at Ohio University each semester.
The following is a compilation of essays written on the 8 Limbs which will continue to be expanded upon until complete. These essays will be edited for the book release.
8 LIMBS OF YOGA ESSAYS
- A Brief History and Overview: The 8 Limbs of Yoga as a Spiritual Compass
- Ahimsa (non-violence): What Ancient Yogic Wisdom Teaches Us About Violence
- Satya (truthfulness): Finding and Living in our Truths
- Asteya (non-stealing): We Are All Thieves — and Why We Need to Stop
- Brahmacharya (moderation): The Path to Freedom is Choosing Less
- Aparigraha (non-attachment): Lessen Your Grip to Experience Pure Joy
- Saucha (cleanliness or purity): A Pure Heart is a Happy Heart
- Santosha (contentment): Wishing, Wanting, Seeking, Striving = Losing. Isn’t It Time to Stop Already?
- Tapas (discipline): Using Discipline to Transform Your Life
- Svadhyaya (self study): The Lifelong Journey of ‘Knowing Thyself’
- Isvara Pranidhana (surrender): Yielding and Surrendering selves into Self
3. ASANA (yoga postures)
4. PRANAYAMA (breath control or retention)
- Pranayama: The Universe Breathes Us Into Existence
5. PRATYAHARA (withdrawal of the senses)
- Pratyahara: Withdraw the Senses to Reach Deeper States of Consciousness (coming soon)
6. DHARANA (concentration) 7. DHYANA (meditation) 8. SAMADHI (bliss or oneness with object of meditation)
- EmbodiYoga and the Eight Limbs: How We Embody the Yoga Sutras
Thanks for reading. Did you enjoy? Please clap (up to 50x, if you’d like) so others can find it more easily. Namaste …
ABOUT & OFFERINGS
Hi! I’m Heather, a writer and yoga educator from SE Ohio. I am working on my first book, Yoga Prayers. Download the first 25 pages, A Prelude to Yoga Prayers, for a brief introduction into yoga history and philosophy — and let me know what you think!