Recipe Roundup: Deconstructed Bagel and Lox Salad Recipe
Need some Sunday Brunch ideas for the family? Try this delicious and nutritious recipe courtesy of Pamela Salzman!
For the dressing:
- ½ cup good quality mayonnaise or soy-free Vegenaise
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- pinch sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 6 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup sliced Persian cucumber (about 1 large cucumber)
- 2 cups quartered or halved small tomatoes
- 6 ounces smoked salmon, cut into strips
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (optional* — see notes below)
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced red onion (about ¼ small onion)
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill fronds, removed from tough stems
- 8–10 whole wheat bagel crisps**, either store-bought or homemade
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, water, lemon zest and juice, garlic, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange spinach leaves on a platter. Top with cucumber, tomatoes, salmon, goat cheese, onion, capers, and dill. Arrange the bagel crisps around the edges of the platter, tucking them under the salad.
- Drizzle with dressing and serve.
- *Sub avocado for goat cheese or just omit it altogether.
- **To make your own bagel crisps, cut 2 bagels crosswise into ¼” slices. Brush both sides with olive oil and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, flipping them over halfway through.