2018 DataLA Summer Academy
Join us for a data-fun summer!
We’re thrilled to launch our 2nd annual Summer Academy.
The Mayor’s Data Team implements Mayor Garcetti’s data strategy for the City of Los Angeles. We work with city departments, the civic tech community, sister cities, private partners, and academics to develop insights and digital tools that make the City more livable and equitable for all Angelenos.
Last year we kicked off the first Summer Academy, an internship program that gives students the chance make real change in Los Angeles and gain practical experience working with the city. Students tackled a range of projects from addressing the impacts of ride-sharing to optimizing sidewalks accessibility. More details on our interns’ experience here.
Now the Academy is back and applications are open! This unique opportunity allows students to get first-hand experience in analytics, app development, and communications in City Hall. The Academy is a competitive 12 week internship that will give you a chance to work directly with city departments and support data-driven and innovative strategies for addressing prevailing issues in Los Angeles, working on policy topics ranging from sustainability to public safety.
Positions are available in any of these three areas:
In addition to choosing a focus area, interns will also support ongoing open data priorities within their placements. Tasks may include:
- Identifying requested datasets to be published on the Open Data Portal and the GeoHub
- Creating descriptive pages to make recently published data more accessible and meaningful to users
- Strong analytical, research, writing, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Self-starter; works well in a fast-paced environment
- Familiar with the concepts of open data
- Passion for using data to improve the city of Los Angeles
- Undergraduate or graduate student working toward a degree in GIS, computer science, engineering, user-centered design, journalism, public policy or related field
- Experience in GIS and mapping concepts and tools or equivalent a plus
- Experience with front end development a plus
- Experience translating business needs into technical implementations, including mapping out business processes and data models a plus
Please send the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample (one page maximum, topic of applicant’s choice)
Applications are due by April 8, 2018 at midnight PT.
Thank you for your interest in the DataLA Summer Academy!