2019 Summer Data Academy
Come work with us!
The Mayor’s Data Team is seeking curious, passionate, and creative data enthusiasts to apply to the 3rd annual Summer Data Academy.
Who is the Mayor’s Data Team?
The Mayor’s Data Team implements Mayor Garcetti’s data strategy for the City of Los Angeles by making data accessible to all. We work with city departments, the civic tech community, sister cities, private partners, and academics to develop insights and digital tools that make the City more livable and equitable for all Angelenos.
What is the Summer Data Academy?
The Summer Data Academy is an internship program that gives students the chance make real change in Los Angeles and gain practical experience working with the city. Students tackle a range of projects from addressing the impacts of ride-sharing to optimizing sidewalks accessibility. See examples here, here, and here.
Positions are available in any of these three areas:
In addition to choosing a focus area, interns will also support ongoing open data priorities within their placements. Tasks may include:
- Identifying requested datasets to be published on the Open Data Portal and the GeoHub
- Creating descriptive pages to make recently published data more accessible and meaningful to users
- Strong analytical, research, writing, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Self-starter; works well in a fast-paced environment
- Familiar with the concepts of open data
- Passion for using data to improve the city of Los Angeles
- Undergraduate or graduate student working toward a degree in statistics, GIS, computer science, engineering, user-centered design, journalism, public policy or related field
- Experience in GIS and mapping concepts and tools or equivalent a plus
- Experience with front end development a plus
- Experience translating business needs into technical implementations, including mapping out business processes and data models a plus
During the program, students meet regularly as a cohort to learn from one another and troubleshoot challenges. They also participate in workshops and field trips to other data science teams in LA.
Why should I apply?
The Academy is a competitive 12 week internship that will give you a chance to work directly with city departments and support data-driven and innovative strategies for addressing prevailing issues in Los Angeles, working on policy topics ranging from transportation to housing.
If you’re considering exploring the City of Los Angeles as a future employer, the Academy is a great way to gain experience and build connections that will help lead to additional internships or full-time positions post-graduation. In fact, 50% of our cohort last year stayed on for paid internships during the school year.
This sounds great! How do I apply?
Please send the following items to sari[dot]ladin-sienne[at]lacity[dot]org
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample (one page maximum, topic of applicant’s choice)
Applications are due by March 8, 2019 at midnight PT.
Thank you for your interest in the DataLA Summer Academy!